1. Central Ammunition Depot at Pulgaon (Wardha), had a major fire breakout killing 16 defence personnel including a Lt Col. and a Major. A substantial loss is there to thedefence forces in the shape of blown up ammunition, rockets and other armaments etc.
2. A Special Court in Ahmadabad holds 24 out of 66 accused as guilty in the Gulbarga Society, Ahmadabad riot in 2002 in which 68 residents were killed. The rioters had attacked the minority community dominated society after the attack on Sabarmati Express in Godhra in which 58 AyodhyaKarsewaks lost their lives.
3. 3000 followers of Swadheen Bharat SubhashSena claiming to be followers of Netaji SubhashChander Bose clash with police in Mathura leaving 24 dead including an SP and SHO of Police. The cult was started by one calling himself as Jaiguru Dev and later on as Netaji in 1975. Jawahar Bagh in Mathura had been encroached by these people since 2014. The Allahabad High Court had ordered for the clearance of this ground from the encroachers of this Sena.
4. Jat’s of Haryana are adamant on going on dharna once again after a period of 3 months on quota reservations for their community in Haryana government jobs.
5. Maharashtra Revenue and Agriculture minister, BJP’sEknathKhadse quits on involvement in MIDC land scam and alsoon his suspected links with underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.
1. Swiss Engineers have built the longest and deepest rail tunnel underneath the Alps which is 57 km long, 2.3 km deep at its deepest point connecting Erstfield in the North and Italian speaking Bodio in the South Switzerland. The Gotthard Base tunnel took 17 years to build at a cost of dollar 12 billion.
2. PM Modi conferred with Afghanistan’s highest civilian award at Herath on the inauguration of Friendship Dam previously known as Salman Dam by the Afghan President Ashraf Ghani who displayed great warmth in his address towards India.The dam has been built with Indian assistance.
3. 27th Tiananmen Square bloody crackdown anniversary held in Taipei,Taiwan. China had sent in tanks to disrupt the June 4, 1989 pro-democracy demonstration by its students in Beijing protesting against the Communist regime.
4. Switzerland assures to support India’s membership of Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) on the eve of PM Modi’s visit to Swiss capital as part of a five-nation tour.
1. GDP for 4th quarter of 2015-16 zoomed to 7.9% and the average GDP value for 2015-16 came at 7.6%. Manufacturing and Agri sector contributed a good deal to the GDP as per data releasedby Central Statistical Organisation(CSO) of the Govt.
Science and Technology
1. Depletion of ground water levels in the Indian sub-continent as a result of drought, intensive irrigation and population growth has caused the earth to till on its axis because of mass deficit in Indian sub-continent and around the Caspian Sea as per new research indication. The melting of Ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica and the water that flows into the Oceans is another contributing factor as it increases the mass of the oceans. The North Pole is, thus, being pushed eastwards as per NASA’s Jet Propulsion lab.
1. Tennis. French Open tournament atRoland Garros, Paris, France.
The French open women’s final between Serena Williams and 22-year-old Spaniard Garbine Muguruza (4th seeded) went in favour on the later. The score-line read as: 7-5, 6-4. Earlier on in the semifinals Serena had beatenBertens 7-6, 6-4 and Muguruza defeated Stosur 6-2, 6-4.
The Men’s singles final was won the Djokovic beating Andy Murray of Britain 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4. Djokovic is the 3rd man in Tennis history to holdfour grand slams at the same time, emulating the feat of ace tennis players of yesteryears Rod Laver in 1969 and Don Budge in 1938.
Andy Murray had beaten defending champion Steve Wawrinka 6-4, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2.
Leander Paes and Martina Hingis beat Sania Mirza and Ivan Dudig 4-6, 6-4, 10-8 to win the mixed double crown.
Muhammad Ali the 74-year-old legendary boxer passes away after suffering from Parkinson’s disease for the past 30 years. He had refused to enlist for the Vietnam war being against the call of his conscience. He became a Muslim from Christianity and changed his name from Cassius Clay to Muhammad Ali. His boxing carrer is summed up by his comment,“float like abutterfly and sting like a bee”.