Absurd: Meaning, Sentences, Synonyms and Antonyms
Something absurd is something really silly, absolutely ridiculous or total nonsense. If you run into someone dressed in an absurd outfit or watch a movie full of absurd jokes, you’ll probably have a good laugh. But if you find yourself dealing with the absurd; you are likely to be stuck in a depressing existential crisis. The absurd describes a state of being where human life has no purpose, and everything is completely irrational.
Pronunciation of Absurd: ab-surd
Meaning of Absurd
1. Something totally incongruous or unreasonable.
2. Completely devoid of wisdom or sense.
3. A situation in which life seems meaningless and irrational.
Our Super Tip to learn the word
The part surd of absurd can be used as a mnemonic. The topic of surds in math has irrational numbers.Similarly, absurd in life means something irrational.
Example Sentences for Absurd
1. The absurd way of teaching by the new teacher left the students utterly bewildered.
2. Amazon’s promise that the volume ‘usually ships within 24 hours’ is rendered absurd.
3. In general, there is no good reason for thinking that reports of mystical experience must imply logical absurdity.
Synonyms of Absurd
Preposterous, Ridiculous, Ludicrous, Farcical, Laughable, Risible; Idiotic, Stupid, Foolish, Silly, Inane, Imbecilic, Insane, Hare-Brained
Antonyms of Absurd
Reasonable, Sensible, Logical, Wise, Rational, Sane, Intelligent, Sagacious