Definition & Meaning: Acid Root Word
What does Acid Root Word mean?
The word Acid, derived from the Latin word “Acidus” meaning sour, dates back to the 1620’s where it was used as a slang for the LSD(drug).Many words have Acid as their root word so it becomes easier for us to correlate the meaning of the words. The root Acid denotes sour or ill natured.
To have a better understanding let us look at the word Acidogenic:
Acidogenic breaks down into:
Acido: Meaning anything that is sour, ill-natured.
genic: Meaning producing.
Acido+genic: Anything that causes acidity.
Several acidogenic bacteria are used for industrial purposes.
Words Based on the Acid Root Word
Following is a list of words based on Acid root word:
1. Acidogenic : Anything that causes acidity.
2. Acidolysis : A decomposition reaction between an acid and a compound.
3. Acidophil : An acidophilic cell or tissue, i.e. which thrives in an acidic environment.
4. Acidosis : A blood condition in which the bicarbonate concentration in the blood is below normal.
5. Acidize : To fill something with acid.
6. Acidimetry : Process of measuring acid in a solution by titration.
7. Acidic : Anything that has acid, or is sour.
8. Acidify : To make or become sour like an acid
9. Acidity : A condition in which there is an increase in the amount of gastric juice causing in-digestion.
10. Acidophilus : A bacterium used in fermentation of milk to change the microbial concentration of the intestinal tract.
We can see how much easier it becomes to memorize any word if we can link it with something that we can never forget. That is the power of word root that can help us to break down complex words and easily fathom their meaning.