Definition & Meaning: Acious/Acity Root Word
What does Acious /Acity Root Word mean?
The Acious/Acity word is often used as a suffix to form words which means having the ability to do something or inclined to do something, the first time I came across acious as a suffix was when my school teacher described my personality as Loquacious which was a big term and I was curious to know what it actually meant. Let’s break it down to understand the meaning of the word loquacious
Loqu: Meaning acetyl group in chemicals.
Acious: Meaning having the ability to do something or inclined to do something.
loquacious: tending to talk a great deal.
Her friend is loquacious, though she has veracity in whatever she speaks.
Words Based on the Acious/Acity Root Word
Following is a list of words based on Acious/Acity root word:
1. Perspicacious : Having the ability to see perspective, in other words clear-sighted.
2. Inefficacious : Ineffective, not being able to produce the desired result.
3. Contumacious : Rebellious or insubordinate.
4. Pertinacious : Resolute in purpose or belief.
5. Fallacious : Deceptive or misleading.
6. Mendacious : Telling lies, someone who is dishonest.
7. Hellacious : Remarkable , wonderful (“That was a hellacious catch in the deep”)
8. Predacious : Preying on others.
9. Sagacity : Being wise
10. Salacity : Quality of being obscene, bawdiness.
11. Furacity : Addictedness to stealing, thefts.
12. Bibacity : Practice of drinking too much liquor.
13. Sequacity : Quality of serving another person, unreasoningly.
14. Audacity : Daring spirit, ventureness, being brave, bold.
15. Rapacity : Exorbitant greediness of gains.
16. Vivacity : Being full of life and energy.
17. Emacity : Fondness of buying stuff.
We can see how much easier it becomes to memorize any word if we can link it with something that we can never forget. That is the power of word root that can help us to break down complex words and easily fathom their meaning.