Definition & Meaning: Afro Root Word
What does Afro Root Word mean?
The root word-afore comes from Latin –‘Afer’ that usually refers to Africa. For instance, the word Afrocentric means that focuses on African culture because:
Centric: focuses on or the main centre or soource
Afro + Centric = study focuses on the African culture
It is fair to say that words with the word root –afro is mostly used to refer to Africa.
These tribal jewelleries are Afrocentric in nature.
Words based on the Afro Root Word
Following is a list of words based on Afro root word:
1. Afro-American : A native of the US who is of African descent.
2. Afro-Baptist : A member of black Baptist Christian movement.
3. Afrobeat : A jazz and funk music from Nigeria.
4. Afro-Christianity : African forms of Christianity.
5. Afrocentric : Focussing on black African people.
6. African Diaspora : Diaspora(Dispersion of Jews after captivity) in Africa.
7. Afrofuturism : A cultural aesthetic that combines science-fic, history, magical realism and Afrocentricity.
8. Afro-pessimism: The feeling that future of Africa is bleak due to large number of problems.
9. Afrophile : A person who loves Africa or African people.
10. Afrophobe : A person who hates or dislikes African people or descendants from Africa.
11. Afropop : Pop music from Africa.
12. Afrosphere : African-American political blogs, taken collectively.
13. Afro-textured : Having naturally dense hair, like those from Africa and the African Diaspora.
14. Afrotropic : Major Eco zones in the world, which includes the Saharan desert and the continent.
15. Afro : Hairstyle worn by Africans, which is long, kinky hair.
We can see how much easier it becomes to memorize any word if we can link it with something that we can never forget. That is the power of word root that can help us to break down complex words and easily fathom their meaning.