Definition & Meaning: Alia Root Word
What does Alia) Root Word mean?
The root word-alia comes from Latin –‘Alis’ that usually refers to items belonging to a particular group or activity. For instance, the word paraphernalia means that personal articles reserved by law for married woman because:
Paraphern: a bride’s property
Paraphern + alia = articles reserved for the married woman by law
It is fair to say that words with the word root –alia is mostly used to refer to belongings.
She collected all her Paraphernalia before she left the house.
Words Based on the Alia Root Word
Following is a list of words based on Alia root word:
1. Alalia : Inability to speak, pronounce common words or language.
2. Anencephalia : Absence of some part or all of the brain in a living being.
3. Aralia : A genus of houseplants cultivated for medicinal purposes.
4. Bacchanalia : A drunken feast in honour of Bacchus.
5. Carpalia : Collection of bones in the wrist.
6. Dentalia : Any tooth shell belonging to the group called Dentalium.
7. Echolalia : Uncontrollable repetition of words by a person.
8. Genitalia : External organs for reproduction.
9. Marginalia : Marginal notes.
10. Novalia : lands newly reclaimed for improvement or agriculture; specifically : lands not liable for teinds
11. Orientalia : Books , manuscripts and other documents related to Oriental culture and history.
12. Palilalia : A disorder in which words are rapidly repeated.
13. Paraphernalia : Personal articles reserved by law for married woman. Also, equipment necessary for particular form of activity.
14. Radialia: A bone or cartilage in fish’s fin.
15. Regalia : Emblems , symbols or documents that indicate royal lineage.
16. Tartanalia : A woollen cloth with stripes of different colours, worn mainly by the Scottish clans.
17. Qualia : A distinctive quality, for example Bitterness, which is completely independent.
We can see how much easier it becomes to memorize any word if we can link it with something that we can never forget. That is the power of word root that can help us to break down complex words and easily fathom their meaning.