Meanings of Analogous:
1. Similar or alike in such a way as to permit the drawing of an analogy.
2. Biology Similar in function but not in structure and evolutionary origin.
Master’s tip to learn Analogous:
Analogous is derived from the word analogy. Analogy means similarity drawn among various objects to make the meaning clearer. We use analogous examples which relate to our daily life when we try to explain our point of view. For example, to explain the meaning of “united we stand and divided we fall” I can take the analogous example of sticks. One stick can be easily broken but it is very hard to break a bunch of sticks when held together.
Sentence Examples for Analogous:
1. A diamond and ice are both hard, clear, and reflect light so a diamond is an example of something being analogous to ice.
2. These policies had effects analogous to pouring gasoline on a burning building.
3. Junk email is closely analogous to the junk mail that we all get in the post.