Definition & Meaning: Ante Root Word
The root word-ante comes from Latin –‘before or preceding’. Antebellum and Postbellum refer to conditions before and after war.
Ante+Bellum: Before War
Anteroom is a room before another. Antedate is to proceed in time. Antecedent is the word preceding the pronoun to which the pronoun refers.
ANTE shouldn’t be confused with ANTI. Anti means against and ante means before.
Words Based on the Ante Root Word
Following is a list of words based on the Ante Root Word:
1. Ante: To take money for poker game before it begins
2. Anteroom: Waiting room before a main room
3. Antechamber: A small room before a big room
4. Antepenultimate: Before the second last in a sequence
5. Antedate : Date before another event in time
6. Ante meridian: Before noon
7. Antemortem : Place before death
8. Antediluvian: Before the great flood
9. Antebellum: Period before the war
10. Antechoir: Section in the church before the choir
11. Antelucan: Before dawn
12. Antenuptial: Coming before marriage
13. Antelude: A play before the main play
14. Antescript: A note added before a script
15. Antevocalic: A letter before a vowel
16. Antetype: An earlier type of something
17. Antiquity: Ancient times
18. Antique: Belonging to the earlier period
19. Anticipate: To realize beforehand
20. Antebrachium: The forearm
We hope this article on the commonly used Ante Root Word and it has been helpful to you in remembering the words based on the Root Word Ante and enhance your vocabulary.