Definition & Meaning: Apo Root Word
What does Apo Root Word mean?
The root word Apo comes from a Greek root that means ‘away or apart’, usually giving a spatial sense.
For instance, the word Apostate means a person who does not believe in a religion because:
Apo: Away or apart.
Sta: Stand; be firm.
Apo+ Sta: Apostate i.e. a person who is away from a stand or a religion.
It is fair to say that words with the word root –Apo is mostly used in words representing a spatial sense.
Example sentence: Abdul’s apostasy was regarded as a disgrace to his family.
Words based on the Apo Root Word
Following is a list of words based on Apo root word:
1. Apogee: The point at which moon is furthest from the earth.
2. Apocope: Cut off the final sound of a word in pronunciation.
3. Apogamy: Development of an embryo without fertilization.
4. Apostasy: Renunciation of religious beliefs.
5. Apostrophe: An apostrophe is a punctuation mark used to replace missing letters for contraction.
6. Apology: A regretful acceptance of an offence.
7. Apocenter: Point in the orbit away from centre of gravity.
8. Apocryphal: Statement of doubtful authenticity.
9. Apocalypse: Away from living settlements, end of the world.
10. Apoptosis: Process of elimination of cell for animal’s survival.
11. Apomixis: Asexual reproduction in plants
We can see how much easier it becomes to memorize any word if we can link it with something that we can never forget. That is the power of word root that can help us to break down complex words and easily fathom their meaning.