Meaning, Sentences, Synonyms and Antonyms for Appalled
Appall means to be struck or filled with fear, alarming amazement or horror. Imagine this scenario: you don’t study the whole semester and you open your books a night before the exam; you’ll surely be appalled to look at the syllabus that was covered in the last six months.
Meaning of Appalled
1. To be apprehensive or alarmed.
2. Reason to be unpleasantly surprised.
3. Strike with disgust or horror.
Our super tip to learn Appalled
Appalled can be related to ‘apple’. We all know that when an apple fell on Newton’s head, he was amazed and struck by the idea of gravity. And now, imagine this, if ever you fall off the top floor of your home, that will be your eureka moment to realize what gravity can do to you and you will be ‘struck with horror’ in short ‘appalled’.
Example Sentences for Appalled
1. The teacher was appalled to know that her students had committed a murder.
2. The tourists from USA were appalled to see the living conditions in the slums.
3. The scandalous behavior of this married woman appalled her friends.
Synonyms of Appalled
aghast, alarmed, dismayed, shocked, outraged
Antonyms of Appalled
comfort, encourage, satisfy
Hi to all users. We are trying to form a community of Word-learners on Wordpandit. All of you are most welcome to post your suggestions, mnemonics, associations and so on for the given word. Let’s make this a group exercise in learning..:)