Apparition comes from the word appear, that is to come into sight. Not a surprise, is it?
Apparitions are unfriendly and unwanted appearances, that just suddenly come into the picture. Examples of these are the ones made by ghosts. By the way, the ghosts/apparitions in our poster are pretty friendly.
As an extension of this appearance, apparition as a noun came to mean ghosts only.
Apparition carries the following dictionary definitions:
1. A ghostly figure; a specter.
2. A sudden or unusual sight.
3. The act of appearing; appearance.
Usage examples for Apparition:
1. Supposed apparitions can scare the hell out of children.
2. The native Red Indians were amazed at the apparition of these white strangers that began to inhabit their land.