Definition & Meaning: Aqua Root Word
What does Aqua Root Word mean?
The root word-Aqua comes from Latin –Aqua, Aqui or Aque that means ‘water’. For instance, the word Aquifers means the underground layer of rock that yields underground water because:
-Fer: To bear
Aqui+ Fer: Aquifer i.e. the underground layer of rock that yields underground water.
It is fair to say that words with the word root –Aqua is mostly used to describe things related to water. Instead of Aqua, Aqui or Aque is also commonly used.
We cannot bore so deep, aquifers are way below the ground level.
Words based on the Aqua Root Word
Following is a list of words based on Aqua root word:
1. Aquaculture: The cultivation of aquatic plants and breeding of aquatic animals for food.
2. Aquarium: Small tank that houses aquatic animals.
3. Aqueous: Similar or related to water.
4. Aquatic: Growing or living in water.
5. Aquifers: Bed rocks that holds ground water.
6. Aqueduct: A pipe or channel that carries huge volume of water.
7. Aqualung: The breathing equipment used during underwater diving or swimming.
8. Aquaplane: A single water ski.
9. Aquanaut: A scuba diver.
10. Aquarist: A person who looks after an aquarium.
We can see how much easier it becomes to memorize any word if we can link it with something that we can never forget. That is the power of word root that can help us to break down complex words and easily fathom their meaning.