Definition & Meaning: Asco Root Word
The root word-Asco- comes from Greek word –Askos meaning a bag, a sac, or a wineskin. For instance, the word Ascus represents a sac shaped cell present in a certain type of fungi. Let’s use its origin to understand the meaning of the word Ascus:
Ascus: A bag
Origin: Greek from Askos
It is fair to say that words with the word root –Asco- is mostly used in biological etymology.
The scientist examined the Ascus to study the process of meiosis.
Words Based on the Asco Root Word
Following is a list of words based on the Asco Root Word:
1. Ascus: A bag shaped cell present in the ascomycete fungi.
2. Ascomycete: Any fungus of the category Ascomycota, Which produce a sac or ascus containing immobile spores.
3. Ascocarp: The bowl shaped structure of the ascomycete fungi.
4. Ascococcus: A type of micrococcus occurring in masses containing large amount of spherical micrococci.
5. Ascogenous: Relating to the growth from ascogonium of fungi.
6. Ascogonial: Relating to or pertaining to ascogonia.
7. Ascogonium: Female organ of the ascomycetous fungi from where ascus id produces.
8. Ascoma: The bowl shaped structure of the ascomycete fungi.
9. Ascon: A cavity in the form of a sac that forms the structure of sponges.
10. Ascospore: A sexually produced spore Ascomycete fungi.
11. Ascites: An accumulation of a fluid in peritoneal cavity suggesting liver disease.
12. Ascolichen: A type of lichen whose fungi component is ascomycete.
13. Ascomycotina: A type of sac fungi.
14. Ascophyllum: A type of brown algae.
We hope this article on the commonly used Asco Root Word and it has been helpful to you in remembering the words based on the Root Word Asco and enhance your vocabulary.