Definition & Meaning: Asis Root Word
Root Word Asis is used in medicine.
The Asis Root Word comes from Greek via Latin–‘asis’ meaning a state or a medical condition.
For instance, the word Candidiasis means an infection of any of the yeast species. “Candida” is yeast like parasite fungus; thereby Candidiasis is an infection due to the parasite fungus.
It is fair to say that words with the word root –asis is usually used in biological science to represent the various types of diseases or infections. Suffixes OSIS, ESIS & ASIS are used to express A COURSE OF ACTION, A PROCESS or A CONDITION. An exception to the rule is Orthobiosis which means complete change of form and character and to give you one more is Anabasis is the report of a military journey.
Words Based on the Asis Root Word
Following is a list of words based on the Asis Root Word:
1. Candidiasis: A Fungal infection causing oral or vaginal thrush.
2. Leishmaniasis: A pathological skin disease transmitted to humans by blood sucking sandflies.
3. Bilharziasis: The diseases caused any parasitic blood flukes.
4. Elephantiasis: A pathological disease that causes extremely large legs or scrotum.
5. Urolithiasis: Deposition of calcium phosphate in the urinary tract.
6. Schistosomiasis: The diseases caused any parasitic blood flukes.
7. Filariasis: A disease spread by mosquitoes.
8. Cholelithiasis: Formation of small stones in the bile duct.
9. Psoriasis: A skin disease resulting in formation of gray flaky patches.
10. Hypochondriasis: A mental disorder caused due to extra fear of anxiety about one’s own health.
11. Amoebiasis: An infection or a disease caused by parasite.
12. Lithiasis: The formation of stone like deposits in an internal organ.
13. Metabasis: A change in the course of a disease.
14. Cholecystolithiasis: The presence of small stones in the gall bladder.
15. Bacteriostasis: A phase where microbial organism doesn’t undergo cell growth without destroying itself.
16. Hypostasis: A deposit especially in urine.
17. Mydriasis: A condition of having large pupils as a result of some drugs.
18. Oxyuriasis: An infection caused by pinworm.
19. Hemostasis: Surgical procedure of stopping the flow of blood (as with a hemostat).
20. Ascariasis: Infestation of the human intestine with Ascaris roundworms.
We hope this article on the commonly used Asis Root Word and it has been helpful to you in remembering the words based on the Root Word Asis and enhance your vocabulary.