Definition & Meaning: Bel Root Word
To explain the beauty of the word root bel, let’s use this interesting quote:
“Imperfection is beautiful”.
The word root bel comes from old French Bele “Beautiful”. This word root bel, in 2014, had wrecked the world of a million Brazilian football fanatics and obviated any pretext for skipping sleep to watch the World Cup Final late at night on television when Brazil lost 1-7 to Germany in the Semi-Finals at Belo Horizonte. Belo Horizonte, “Beautiful Horizon”, became the stage where The Beautiful Game, they said, lost to the disciplined and engineered German game. The outcome, albeit imperfect for Brazil, perfectly embellished the Germans. The vagary of the game makes it imperfect yet beautiful. A beautiful woman is referred to as the belle. Soccer, the most exhilarating ball, will always be beautiful, but the belle of the ball will keep changing.
Words Based on the Bel Root Word
Following is a list of words based on the Bel Root Word:
1. Belle: A beautiful woman.
2. Belvedere: A building positioned to offer a fine view of the surrounding area.
3. Belladonna: From Italian: A beautiful lady.
4. Embellish: Decorate, make beautiful, bedeck, adorn.
5. Belmont: Beautiful Mountain.
6. Belles-lettres: Fine letters.
7. Belletrist: Man of learning.
8. Bauble: from old French Baubel meaning ornament.
9. Beldame: aggressive woman.
10. Bibelot: trinket, ornament.
11. Unembellished: Factual.
12. Beldam: Ugly woman.
13. Dowsabel: Obsolete word for sweet heart.
14. Bellwether: Leader, forerunner.
We hope this article on the commonly used Bel Root Word and it has been helpful to you in remembering the words based on the Root Word Bel and enhance your vocabulary.