Definition & Meaning: Bi Root Word
The Root Word Bi is used for a lot of common words that we use in our day to day life,
Root word ‘bi’ means ‘two’. It is a Latin Root word. Another root which means two is di, which is a Greek root word. So, the commonly used word Bicycle is a vehicle moving on two wheels.
Bi root word is commonly used for a lot in events related to the calendar. Biannual and biennial are two commonly confused words based on this root word Bi. Biannual means happening twice every year whereas Biennial means happening every two years. You should also remember the root word di along with the root word bi for example Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is a gas whose molecule has two oxygen atoms and to dissect something is to divide it into two.
Words Based on the Bi Root Word
Here is a list of words based on Bi Root Word:
1. Bicolour: Having two different colours
2. Biennial: Happening every two years
3. Bifocals: Eyeglasses with lenses that have two different sections for seeing closeup and far away
4. Biweekly: Happening every two weeks
5. Bimonthly: Happening every two months
6. Biped: A two-footed creature
7. Biplane: An airplane with two pairs of wings
8. Bicuspid: A two-pointed teeth located in the side of jaw
9. Biannual: Happening twice every year
10. Bicameral: Having two parts/ two chambers
11. Bigamy: Crime of marrying one person while being legally married to another ; system of two marriages
12. Bifunctional: Having two functions
Hope you are able to learn some words related to Bi Root Word from this article. Remember, it is all about increasing your vocabulary and word roots is a wonderful method of learning multiple words at the same time.