A few examples of some the worst things that a person can experience are as follows: Massive earthquakes, huge landslides, devastating hurricanes, gruesome terrorist attacks or the onset of deadly diseases.
Well, each of the examples above can be ascribed one word to describe them: each one of them in their own right is a calamity. The dictionary definition for calamity is as follows:
1. An event that brings terrible loss, lasting distress, or severe affliction; a disaster. (noun)
Masters Tip to remember Calamity:
There are a number of associations that can be made to learn the word calamity. One of the most effective ones can be through self reflection. Recall an instance of your life, for example the loss of a near one, and try to reflect how disastrous the situation was. Well, that situation can officially be labelled as a calamity. The image above is also based on the same principles of extreme disaster and tries to capture the same. .
Quotes using the word calamity:
The word calamity comes with an amazing bundle of quotes that have been based on this word. Few of the really good ones are as follows:
1. A foolish son is the calamity of his father: and the contentions of a wife are a continual dropping. – Bible
2. Calamity is virtue’s opportunity. – Seneca
3. He who sees the calamity of other people finds his own calamity light. – Arabian Proverb
4. The calamity that comes is never the one we had prepared ourselves for.-Mark Twain
5. When any calamity has been suffered, the first thing to be remembered is how much has been escaped. –Samuel Johnson