While engaging in a public debate one needs to be cautious to make statements free from cant and prejudices. Cant is speaking badly about religion or society.
Meanings of Cant:
1. A thrust or motion that tilts something.
2. The tilt caused by such a thrust or motion.
3. An outer corner, as of a building.
4. Monotonous talk filled with platitudes.
5. Hypocritically pious language.
6. The special vocabulary peculiar to the members of an underworld group;
Master’s tip to learn Cant:
Cant can be learnt from chant which means monks and saints chant mantras which are only known to them.
Sentence Examples for Cant:
1. Constructive suggestions are rare in a debate that has mixed a lot of rhetorical cant with a big principle.
2. Don’t you insult human relations by dragging all this cant about buying and selling into it.