Catastrophe has different meanings in different aspects. It can be describedas a terrible disaster or accident; especially, one that leads to a great loss of life. It can also be described as ‘a total or absolute failure, often in humiliating or embarrassing circumstances.’
In literature, the final outcome or resolution of the intricacies of a plot of the drama or a novel . In geology, a radical change in earth’s surface caused by an earthquake
Origin of Catastrophe
Catastrophe has its origins in the ancient Greek and Latin languages. It comes from the Latin catastropha, from Greek katastrophe, “an overturning; a sudden end”; from katastrephein, “to overturn, to turn down, to trample on; to come to an end”.
Confusing blabber, eh?
Well, let us break down the word further:
Katastrophe = combination of kata + strephein.
Kata means”down” + strephein means to “to turn” and directly related to Greek strophe, originally “a turning” with reference to the section of an ode sung by a chorus while turning in one direction. Thus we reach: to overturn, to turn down, to trample on; to come to an end”.
Meanings of Catastrophe:
1. A great, often sudden calamity.
2. A complete failure; a fiasco
3. The concluding action of a drama, especially a classical tragedy, following the climax and containing a resolution of the plot.
4. A sudden violent change in the earth’s surface; a cataclysm.
Master’s Tip to Learn Catastrophe:
The easiest way to remember this word is
Jab kutte ne “KATA” on the “TROUGH”, then disaster happens
Or Cut A Trophy: – if we lose the trophy then that event will be big loss misfortune, so is the meaning –> event resulting in great loss and misfortune
Sentence Examples for Catastrophe
1. Haiti’s earthquake was a catastrophe in the Caribbean.
2. The whole city was affected by the irremediable catastrophe
3. The huge catastrophe that Tsunami has caused still continues to haunt the victims.
4. Lack of funds has resulted in a catastrophe for our school system.
5. The confirmation of the forgery case has caused irrevocable catastrophe on his political career.