Definition & Meaning: Chrom(o) Root Word
Do You Know these interesting facts about the following words with the root word Chrom(o)?
● The element chromium was named because of the brilliant colors of its compounds.
● Chromic compounds contain trivalent chromium and are usually green or violet, while divalent chromous ones are usually blue
● Chromates contain the group -CrO4 and are usually yellow
● chromite is a brownish-black ore of chromium.
Chrom(o) root word is a Greek word which means ‘Color, pigment’
For instance, achromatic means without color; chromium means a blue-white metallic chemical
element and chromatics – the study of color.
Words Based on the Chrom(o) Root Word
Following is a list of words based on the Chrom(o) Root Word:
1. Chroma: Color
2. Chromascope: An instrument showing the effects of color
3. Chromatic: Color; relating to color
4. Chromatic scale: A musical scale of many shades of tone
5. Chromatist: One expert in chromatics
6. Chromosome: A tiny body found in living cells which controls heredity
7. Chromatology: Science of colors
8. Chromatometer: Instrument for measuring color perception
9. Chromatosis : Unnatural pigmentation of the skin
10. Chrome: A pigment; as, chrome yellow; chrome green, etc
11. Chromium: A rust-resisting metal
12. Chromidrosis: An abnormally colored sweat
13. Chromatism: Abnormal coloration of the green parts of plants
14. Chromoblast: An embryonic cell that becomes a pigment cell
15. Chromogenesis: Color production
16. Chromophobic: Difficult to stain
17. Chromophilic: Easy to stain
With this, the lesson on root word “Chrom(o)” comes to an end. Hope you learnt many new and fun words today. Keep revising, Keep learning with Wordpandit.