Exercise your wheels of thinking and you would know what this word means. In simple terms (skipping the complex definition that will follow), cognition refers to the process of thinking. It is the identification of knowledge, of understanding it and perceiving it.
The most common references of cognition that one would find would be in psychology and philosophy. One would do well to read on cognitive psychology (defined as the psychological study of higher mental processes, including thinking and perception).
The dictionary definitions for cognition are as follows:
1. The mental process of knowing, including aspects such as awareness, perception, reasoning, and judgment. (noun)
2. That which comes to be known, as through perception, reasoning, or intuition; knowledge. (noun)
Masters Tip to remember Cognition:
Our simple reference guide for this:
Process of cognition = Process of thinking
This is the simplified and practical meaning for this word with the strange feeling.
Usage Examples for Cognition:
1. The process of visual cognition is something that deeply enriches our experience of the world.
2. The process of cognition can play tricks even on a balanced mind.
3. The mental addition of 2+2=4 is an example of cognition only.