Daily Current Affairs 1 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 1 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 1 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 1 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Customs Duty on Wheat
- Govt. has increased customs duty on wheat to 40% from 30% to curb imports and protect the domestic industry.
- “Customs” means the Government Service which is responsible for the administration of Customs law and the collection of duties and taxes and which also has the responsibility for the application of other laws and regulations relating to the importation, exportation, movement or storage of goods.
2. Bombay Reorganisation Act 1960
- On 1st May, Maharashtra and Gujarat were divided and were given statehood under Bombay Reorganisation Act in 1960.
- Gujarat :- Capital : Gandhinagar || Chief Minister : Vijay Rupani || Governor : Om Prakash Kohli || Official Language : Gujarati
- Maharashtra :- Capital : Mumbai || Chief Minister : Devendra Fadnavis || Governor : C. Vidyasagar Rao || Official Language : Marathi
3. India Officer Jack Farj Rafael (JFR) Jacob
- Israel honoured Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971 Lt. Gen. (retd) Jack Farj Rafael (JFR) Jacob with a plaque on Wall of Honour.
- Jack Farj Rafael Jacob, was an Indian Army officer. He was best known for the role he played in the creation of Bangladesh in the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971.
- Jacob, then a major general, served as the chief of staff of the Indian Army’s Eastern Command.
- Currency: Israeli new shekel || Capital: Jerusalem || Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
1. UN Arms Trade Treaty
- USA will withdraw from UN Arms Trade Treaty.
- The Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) is a multilateral treaty that regulates the international trade in conventional weapons. It entered into force on 24 December 2014.
- On 2 April 2013, the UN General Assembly adopted the ATT. International weapons commerce has been estimated to reach US$70 billion a year.
2. International Workers’ Day/ Labour Day (1st May)
- Labour Day is an annual holiday to celebrate the achievements of workers. Labour Day has its origins in the labour union movement, specifically the eight-hour day movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest.
- International Workers’ Day, also known as Workers’ Day, Labour Day in some countries and often referred to as May Day.
- It is a celebration of labourers and the working classes that is promoted by the international labour movement which occurs every year on May Day, an ancient European spring festival.
- Theme :- ‘Sustainable Pension for all: The Role of Social Partners’.
3. Negasso Gidada passes away
- Former Ethiopian president Dr Negasso Gidada had passed away.
- Ethiopia, in the Horn of Africa, is a rugged, landlocked country split by the Great Rift Valley.
- Capital: Addis Ababa || Currency: Ethiopian birr
4. Goldman Environmental Prize 2019
- The Goldman Environmental Prize ceremony is held at the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House.
- Six Environmental Activists from around the world are the recipient of Goldman Environmental Prize 2019.
- Alberto Curamil (Chile)
- Alfred Brownell (Liberia)
- Ana Colovic Lesoska (North Macedonia)
- Bayarjargal Agvaantseren (Mongolia)
- Jacqueline Evans (Cook Islands)
- Linda Garcia (US)
1. Wipro’s New Acquisation
- Wipro Consumer Care has acquired Philippines based ‘Splash’ Company.
- Splash, the largest personal care player in the Philippines.
- Philippines Capital: Manila || Currency: Philippine peso.
2. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited with Automotive Research Association of India
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited and Automotive Research Association of India have signed an MoU in the field of e-mobility.
- Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), established in 1966, is the leading automotive R&D organization of the country set up by the Automotive Industry with the Government of India. ARAI is an autonomous body affiliated to the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, Government of India.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited owned and founded by the Government of India, is an engineering and manufacturing company based in New Delhi, India. Established in 1964, BHEL is India’s largest power generation equipment manufacturer.
- About BHEL :- Headquarters: New Delhi || CEO: Atul Sobti || Founded: 1964
3. Wynk Tube App
- Bharti Airtel has launched Wynk Tube App as an extension of existing Wynk Music app.
- It will allows users to stream audio and video in same interface.
- Bharti Airtel Limited also known as Airtel is an Indian global telecommunications services company based in Delhi, India. It operates in 20 countries across South Asia and Africa.
- CEO: Gopal Vittal Headquarters: New Delhi || Parent organizations: Bharti Enterprises (64%), Singapore Telecommunications Limited (36%)
4. Water & Power Consultancy Services with Dredging Corporation of India Limited
- Dredging Corporation of India Limited has signed an MoU with Water & Power Consultancy Services for Geo-Technical Investigation and Engineering Consultancy in the field of water resources, power and infrastructure, Port and Harbour Dredging.
- Dredging Corporation of India Limited, or DCI, is unit engaged in the business of dredging. DCI does dredging for Indian seaports exclusively. It occasionally dredges at foreign seaports in countries such as Sri Lanka, Taiwan and Dubai. It is mainly involved in maintenance dredging.
- Water and Power Consultancy Services Limited is a consultancy organisation and public sector undertaking under the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation of the Government of India.
1. Barcelona Open 2019 (Tennis)
- Dominic Thiem of Austria has won Barcelona Open 2019 after defeating Daniil Medvedev of Russia.
- The 2019 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell is a men’s tennis tournament played on outdoor clay courts.
- It was the 67th edition of the event and part of the ATP World Tour 500 series of the 2019 ATP World Tour.
- It took place at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
2. Spanish La Liga title 2019
- Barcelona FC has won Spanish La Liga title 2019.
- The Campeonato Nacional de Liga de Primera División, commonly known as La Liga, is the men’s top professional football division of the Spanish football league system.
- Most championships: Real Madrid (33 titles) || Most appearances: Andoni Zubizarreta; (622) || Current champion: FC Barcelona (26th title) || Top goalscorer: Lionel Messi; (412)
3. Creu de Sant Jordi (St. George’s Cross) Award
- Lionel Messi has won prestigious St. George’s Cross Award from Catalan Government.
- The Catalonia region, in north-eastern Spain. || Capital: Barcelona
- The Catalan declaration of independence was a resolution that was passed by the Parliament of Catalonia on 27 October 2017, which declared the independence of Catalonia from Spain and the founding of an independent Catalan Republic.
- The declaration did not receive recognition from the international community.
- The declaration of independence was fully suspended by the Constitutional Court of Spain and the dismissed Catalan government accepted the elections proposed by Mariano Rajoy.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,1 May
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31