Daily Current Affairs 01 January 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 01 January 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 01 January 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 1 January 2018 Current affairs test.
1.Vinay Sahasrabuddhe becomes ICCR Chief.
- Vinay Sahasrabuddhe, also a member of Rajya Sabha, has been appointed the President of Indian Council of Cultural Relations.
- He will replace Lokesh Chandra who was appointed in Oct 2014.
2.Arunachal Pradesh declared open defecation free.
- The milestone was achieved after the state announced an incentive of Rs.8,000 in addition to the Rs.12,000-grant provided by the Centre for building toilets.
- Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh were declared open defecation free in Oct 2017.
3.1.9 cr legal citizens recognized in first NRC draft in Assam.
- The first draft of the National Register of Citizens(NRC) for Assam recognized 1.9 crore people as Indian citizens. The verification process for the rest 1.39 crore applicants is still on.
- Assam, which has witnessed an influx of migrants from Bangladesh, became the only state to have NRC in 1951.
4.Muslim women freed from Triple Talaq: PM Modi.
- PM Modi said that Muslim women have found a way to free themselves from the practice of Triple Talaq after years of struggle.
- PM Modi also hailed the Centre’s decision to remove the practice that banned Muslim women from performing Haj without the company of a male guardian.
1.N Korea could visit S Korea for Winter Olympics.
- Kim Jong-un said that the nation could send a delegation to S Korea to take part in the 2018 Winter Olympics. Winter Games will take place from Feb 9 to 25.
- He added that the Olympics will “serve as a good chance to display our Korean people’s grace toward the world and we sincerely hope the games will be a success”.
2.Solo climbing on Mount Everest banned by Nepal.
- This law has been revised to make mountaineering safer and to decrease deaths.
- Avtar Singh Cheema was the first Indian to climb Mount Everest successfully.
3.Israel withdraws from UNESCO.
- Israel has filed notice to withdraw from the UNESCO alongside the United States. Both Israel and US have filed its own withdrawal notice in Oct 2017.
- Israel was the member of UNESCO since 1949.
4.US Vice President trolled with “Make America Gay Again” flag.
- US Vice President Mike Pence was trolled with a rainbow flag stating “Make America Gay Again” by his neighbors.
- The Vice President is opposed to same-sex marriage and had previously opposed a law prohibiting discrimination against LGBT people in the workplace.
1.GST e-way bill system to be implemented from Feb 1.
- The GST provision requiring transporters to carry an electronic waybill or e-way bill when moving goods between states will be implemented from Feb 1.
- This is done to check rampant tax evasion and boost revenues by up to 20%.
2.Maruti reported 10.3% increase in total sales.
- The country’s largest car-maker Maruti Suzuki India(MSI) reported 10.3% increase in total sales at 1,30,066 units in Dec 2017 compared to 1,17,908 units in the same month of 2016.
- The company’s domestic sales stood at 1,19,286 units, up 12.1% from 1,06,414 units in Dec 2016.
3.Bandhan Bank to offer 11.9 crore shares in IPO.
- Bandhan Bank has filed the Draft Red Herring Prospectus with SEBI for an Initial Public Offer(IPO) next fiscal offering 11.9 crore equity shares.
- The bank proposes to offer up to 119,280,494 equity shares of face value of Rs.10 each at a price to be determined through a book building process including premium.
1.Shiv Kapur won third Asian Tour title of 2017.
- Indian golfer Shiv Kapur won his third Asian Tour title of 2017 by lifting the Royal Cup in Thailand.
- Kapur first won on Asian Tour in his debut season in December 2005.
2.Ponting to coach Australia for T20 WC.
- The Cricket Australia is negotiating with Ricky Ponting who earlier had served as an assistant coach for T20I team in 2017.
- Ponting, meanwhile, will also assist Lehmann for T20I series against England and New Zealand.
3.Manchester City’s record 18-game win streak ends with 0-0 draw.
- Manchester City’s record-setting 18-match win streak came to an end with an 0-0 draw against Crystal Palace.
- City were two wins away from breaking Bayern Munich’s record of 19 consecutive top-flight wins in Europe’s top five leagues.