Daily Current Affairs 12 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 12 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 12 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 12 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. New Chief Secretary of Maharashtra
- Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation Commissioner Ajoy Mehta has been appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Maharashtra.
- The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, also known as Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, is the governing civic body of Mumbai, the capital city of Maharashtra. It is India’s richest municipal corporation. The MCGM’s annual budget exceeds that of some of India’s smaller states.
- Founded: 1888 || Seats: 227 || Type of business: Municipal Corporation
2. 2019 McCain Institute Award
- IPS officer Chhaya Sharma has been awarded 2019 McCain Institute Award for Courage and Leadership.
- IPS officer Chhaya Sharma led the investigation team of Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case.
3. Novel ‘Dopehri’
- Novel ‘Dopehri’ is authored by Actor Pankaj Kapur.
- Pankaj Kapur is an Indian theatre, television and film actor. He is the father of actor Shahid Kapoor. He has appeared in several television serials and films.
4. Thoppil Mohamed Meeran passes away
- Thoppil Mohamed Meeran was an Indian Nagercoil based author who wrote in Tamil.
- Meeran was awarded the Highest Indian Government award for Poets, Sahitya Akademi Award in 1997 for his novel Saivu Narkali. He also received the Tamil Nadu Kalai Ilakkiya Perumantam Award, the Ilakkiya Chintanai Award, and the T N Govt.
- The Sahitya Akademi, India’s National Academy of Letters, is an organisation dedicated to the promotion of literature in the languages of India. Founded on 12 March 1954, it is supported by, though independent of, the Indian government. It is in Rabindra Bhavan near Mandi House in Delhi.
1. World Migratory Bird Day 2019
- The World Migratory Bird Day for 2019 is observed on May 11.
- World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) was initiated in 2006 and is an annual awareness-raising campaign highlighting the need for the conservation of migratory birds and their habitats.
- Theme :- ‘Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution!’.
- Every year people around the world take action and organize public events such as bird festivals, education programmes, exhibitions and bird-watching excursions to celebrate WMBD. All these activities can also be undertaken at any time on the year because that countries or regions observing the peak of migrations at different times, but the main days for the international celebrations in 2019 are Saturday 11 May and Saturday 12 October.
2. Climate Emergency
- Ireland has become 2nd country in the world to declare a Climate Emergency.
- United Kingdom declared a climate emergency earlier this month.
- Ireland capital: Dublin || Currency: Euro
3. Hollywood Walk Of Fame
- Actress Anne Hathaway has been honoured with a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles.
- The Hollywood Walk of Fame comprises more than 2,600 five-pointed terrazzo and brass stars embedded in the sidewalks along 15 blocks of Hollywood Boulevard and three blocks of Vine Street in Hollywood, California.
- The stars are permanent public monuments to achievement in the entertainment industry, bearing the names of a mix of musicians, actors, directors, producers, musical and theatrical groups, fictional characters, and others.
- The Walk of Fame is administered by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and maintained by the self-financing Hollywood Historic Trust.
1. Konkan Railways Corporation with Nepal
- Konkan Railways Corporation Ltd has signed an agreement with Department of Railways of Nepal regarding 1600 HP DEMU Trains.
- Nepal Capital: Kathmandu || Currency: Nepalese rupee || Prime minister: KP Sharma Oli
- Indian Ambassador to Nepal :- Manjeev Singh Puri
2. India and Turkey on Bilateral Trade
- India and Turkey are aimed to strengthen economic relations with an aim of having 10 billion USD Bilateral Trade by 2020.
- Turkey is a nation straddling eastern Europe and western Asia with cultural connections to ancient Greek, Persian, Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman empires.
- Capital: Ankara || Currency: Turkish lira
3. SDG Advocates
- Actress Dia Mirza is selected among the 17 Global Public Figures, appointed by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres as ‘SDG Advocates’.
- The Sustainable Development Goals are a collection of 17 global goals set by the United Nations General Assembly in 2015 for the year 2030. The SDGs are part of Resolution 70/1 of the United Nations General Assembly, the 2030 Agenda.
4. TIME magazine
- TIME magazine has featured Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the cover of its 20th May Edition.
- Time is an American weekly news magazine and news website published in New York City. It was founded in 1923 and originally run by Henry Luce. A European edition is published in London and also covers the Middle East, Africa, and, since 2003, Latin America. An Asian edition is based in Hong Kong.
1. Yaya Toure retires
- Former Manchester City FC and FC Barcelona midfielder Yaya Toure has retired from football.
- Yaya Touré is an Ivorian former professional footballer who played as a midfielder. He played for and captained the Ivory Coast national team.
2. IPL 2019
- Mumbai Indians defeated Chennai Super Kings to win their fourth title at Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Hyderabad.
- Orange Cap (Most Runs) :- David Warner (SH) 692 runs
- Purple Cap (Most Wickets) :- Imran Tahir (CSK)- 26 wickets
- Emerging Player :- Shubman Gill (KKR)
- Fair play Award :- Sunrisers Hyderabad
3. Pichichi Trophy Award
- Lionel Messi will win Pichichi Trophy Award for 6th times equating Telmo Zarra.
- In Spanish football, the Trofeo Pichichi is awarded by the sports newspaper Marca to the top goalscorer of each La Liga season.
- Named after the Athletic Bilbao striker Rafael “Pichichi” Moreno, the trophy has been awarded annually since the 1952–53 season.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,12 May
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31