Daily Current Affairs 12th 13th May 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 12th 13th May 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 12th 13th May 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 12th 13th May 2020 Current affairs test.
1. CHAMPIONS Portal
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises has launched CHAMPIONS Portal.
- CHAMPION means ‘Creation and Harmonious Application of Modern Processes for Increasing the Output and National Strength’.
- This portal is a one-stop-shop solution of the MSME Ministry.
- Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises: Nitin Jairam Gadkari.
2. FIR AapkeDwar Yojana
- Madhya Pradesh Government has launched first of its kind in India ‘FIR AapkeDwar Yojana’.
- ‘Dial 100’ vehicle would have trained Head Constables to lodge FIR.
- Governor of Madhya Pradesh: Lal Ji Tandon.
3. New Geographical Indication Tag
- Thanjavur Netti Works (pith works) and Arambavur Wood Carvings, Tamil Nadu were awarded the Geographical Indication Tag.
- Tamil Nadu: Governor :Banwarilal Purohit || Chief Minister : Edappadi K. Palaniswami
1. Anniversary of Smallpox Eradication
- United Nations Postal Administration and World Health Organization have released a commemorative Postage Stamp on the 40th anniversary of the eradication of smallpox.
- The United Nations Postal Administration is the postal agency of the United Nations. It issues postage stamps and postal stationery, denominated in United States dollars for the office in New York, in Swiss francs for the office in Geneva and in euros for the office in Vienna.
1. Arogya Sanjeevani
- SBI General Insurance has launched Health Insurance Policy ‘Arogya Sanjeevani’ for COVID-19.
- SBI General Insurance is a joint venture general insurance company between State Bank of India, the largest state-owned banking and financial services company in India and Insurance Australia Group, a Sydney based multinational insurance company.
- Pushan Mahapatra is the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer (MD & CEO) of SBI General Insurance.
- State Bank of India: Chairman: Rajnish Kumar || Headquarters: Mumbai || Founded: 1 July 1955.
2. Cooperative Banks under ‘SARFAESI Act’
- Supreme Court of India ruling has brought Cooperative Banks under ‘SARFAESI Act’.
- The Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Securities Interest Act, 2002 is an Indian law. It allows banks and other financial institution to auction residential or commercial properties to recover loans.
1. ‘Own-Online’ Platform
- Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) has rolled out ‘Own-Online’ Platform which is an end to end online vehicle ownership solution.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Limited is an Indian multinational car manufacturing corporation headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. It was established in 1945 as Muhammad & Mahindra and later renamed as Mahindra and Mahindra.
- Parent organization: Mahindra Group || CEO: Anand Mahindra
2. INR-USD Futures & Options contracts
- INR-USD Futures and Options contracts have been launched on India INX of BSE and NSE’s NSE-IFSC, at GIFT International Financial Services Centre, Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- This will help the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in curbing the influence of foreign trade centers like Dubai and Singapore in the Rupee derivatives trade.
- Initially recommended by the Dr. Usha Thorat Committee in 2019, the Rupee derivatives trade was greenlit by RBI in November 2019. Now, BSE subsidiary India INX is gearing up to launch it at its exchange located in GIFT city in Gujarat.
Science and Technology News
1. India’s first antibody testing kit
- National Institute of Virology, Pune has developed India’s first antibody testing kit ‘ELISA’ COVID KAVACH.
- ICMR has tied-up with ZYDUS CADILA for mass scale production of the ELISA test kits.
- The National Institute of Virology, Pune is an Indian virology research institute, and one of the translational science cells part of Indian Council of Medical Research. It was previously known as ‘Virus Research Center’ and was founded in collaboration with the Rockefeller Foundation.
1. International Nurses Day
- International Nurses Day is an international day observed around the world on 12 May of each year, to mark the contributions that nurses make to society.
- Theme: ‘Nursing the World to Health’.
1. Little Richard passes away
- American singer-songwriter Little Richard has passed away.
- Richard Wayne Penniman, better known as Little Richard, was an American singer, songwriter, and musician.
- An influential figure in popular music and culture for seven decades, he was nicknamed “The Innovator”, “The Originator”, and “The Architect of Rock and Roll”.
Agreements and MoUs
1. ICMR with Bharat Biotech
- Indian Council for Medical Research has tied-up with Bharat Biotech to develop indigenous COVID-19 vaccine.
- ICMR: Director-General: Balram Bhargava || Headquarters: New Delhi.
Award, Rankings and Indexes
1. SKYTRAX Award for Best Regional Airport in India
- Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru has won SKYTRAX Award 2020 for Best Regional Airport in India and Central Asia.
- Governor of Karnataka: Vajubhai Vala.
2. Freedom of Speech Award
- Indian journalist Siddharth Varadarajan was awarded the Freedom of Speech Award by German public news outlet Deutsche Welle.
- He was one of 17 recipients of the Freedom of Speech Award
- Since 2015, DW has presented the Freedom of Speech Award annually to a person or initiative that has shown outstanding commitment to human rights and freedom of expression in the media.
- Siddharth Varadarajan is an Indian American journalist, editor and academic. He was a former editor of the Indian English language national daily The Hindu, and is one of the founding editors of the Indian digital news portal The Wire.
3. Financial Times Executive Education 2020 Rankings
- IIM Bangalore has been ranked at 45th in the Financial Times Executive Education 2020 Rankings under executive education.
- Top Three
- 1. IESE Spain
- 2. HEC Paris
- 3. IMD
1. Para-athlete Deepa Malik retires
- Para-athlete Deepa Malik has announced her retirement from Paralympics Sporting Games.
- She serves as the office-bearer in the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI).
- Deepa Malik is an Indian athlete. She is the first Indian woman to win a medal in Paralympic Games and won a Silver medal at the 2016 Summer Paralympics in the shot put. She has also won gold in F-53/54 Javelin event at the para athletic grand Prix held in Dubai in 2018.