Daily Current Affairs 12th May 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 12th May 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 12th May 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 12th May 2023 Current affairs test.
Conferences & Gatherings
1. 6th International Indian Ocean Conference in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- The 6th International Indian Ocean Conference commenced on May 12, 2023, in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, inaugurated the event.
- India Foundation, in collaboration with the Bangladesh Foreign Ministry, is the organizing body of this event.
- With a central theme titled ‘Peace, Prosperity, and Partnership for a Resilient Future’, the conference has drawn around 150 participants.
2. Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Honored with Bharat Ratna Dr. Ambedkar Award
- Former Indian President, Ram Nath Kovind, presented the Bharat Ratna Dr. Ambedkar Award to Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath for his contributions towards ensuring safety in Uttar Pradesh.
- The award ceremony took place at the Shanmukhananda Auditorium in Mumbai. However, Lalji Prasad Nirmal, a member of the UP legislative council, accepted the award on the Chief Minister’s behalf.
- Buddhanjali Research Foundation organized the ceremony with Ramnath Kovind as the principal guest.
- Other recipients of the 13th Bharat Ratna Dr. Ambedkar Award include actors Prem Chopra, Udit Narayan, Rajpal Yadav, and other eminent personalities from across India.
- Niloufar Hamedi, Elaheh Mohammadi, & Narges Mohammadi were recipients of the UNESCO World Press Freedom Prize 2023.
- UK’s Meera Syal, of Indian origin, received the BAFTA fellowship.
- Maria Stepanova, a Russian poet, earned the Leipzig Book Prize 2023.
- Dr. Ram Pillarisetti was presented with the TAL Presents Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The Dalai Lama was awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1959.
Science & Innovation
3. IBM-NASA Collaboration for Satellite Data Transformation
- IBM is collaborating with NASA to launch a geospatial foundation model.
- This model aims to convert satellite data into detailed maps that highlight environmental changes such as floods and fires, offering insights into Earth’s history and possible future.
- The platform, expected to be previewed later in the year, promises benefits like evaluating climate-related risks for infrastructures, monitoring forests for carbon offset projects, and aiding businesses in climate change strategy formulation.
- IBM plans to incorporate this initiative into their forthcoming watsonx.ai studio, slated for unveiling in July, to cater to AI developers.
- IBM is currently led by Arvind Krishna, serving as the Chairman and CEO.
4. Progress in Gravitational Wave Research with LIGO-India
- On May 11, Prime Minister Modi sanctioned science projects with a budget exceeding Rs 5800 crore.
- One of the significant projects is the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) situated in Hingoli, Maharashtra.
- The observatory is equipped with a sensitive 4 km interferometer, designed as a gravitational wave detector. It will collaborate with its twin facilities in the US.
5. ISRO’s Achievement in Semi-Cryogenic Engine Testing
- ISRO has embarked on successful tests for its semi-cryogenic engines, aimed for forthcoming space expeditions.
- The inaugural integrated test with the 2000 kN semi-cryogenic engine variant occurred at the new testing facility in Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu.
- This trial signifies progress towards developing engines that utilize a Liquid Oxygen (LOX)-Kerosene fuel combination.
6. International Day of Plant Health – May 12
- This day accentuates the importance of preserving plant health for goals like hunger eradication, biodiversity conservation, economic growth, and poverty alleviation.
- The theme for 2023 is “Plant Health for Environmental Protection”.
- The United Nations, upon Zambia’s proposal and endorsement from countries like Bolivia, Finland, Pakistan, the Philippines, and Tanzania, established this day in 2022.
7. International Nurses Day – May 12
- Annually observed, this day emphasizes the invaluable role of nurses in the health sector.
- The theme for 2023 is “Our Nurses, Our Future”.
- This day also commemorates Florence Nightingale’s birthday, widely acknowledged as the founder of modern nursing.
- The World Health Organization recognizes the crucial contributions of nurses, especially during health crises like the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The International Council of Nurses has been commemorating this day since 1965, aligning with Florence Nightingale’s birthday.