Daily Current Affairs 14th January 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 14th January 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 14th January 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 14th January 2023 Current affairs test.
National & International Appointments
1. Appointment of Sultan al-Jaber as COP2’s New President
- Sultan al-Jaber, head of the United Arab Emirates’ national oil company, ADNOC, will preside over this year’s COP28 climate meetings.
- Jaber, the CEO of ADNOC, becomes the first chief officer to serve in this capacity at a United Nations summit.
- He also serves as the Gulf state’s special ambassador for climate change and has participated in over ten Conferences of the Parties. COP is the largest assembly of climate change experts globally.
2. Establishment of India’s First Centre of Excellence for Online Gaming in Shillong, Meghalaya
- The Union Government of India has announced the establishment of the Centre of Excellence (CoE) for online gaming. This will be set up by the Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) in the Digital India Corporate Hub.
- Founded in 1991, STPI is a distinct scientific and technical organization under MeitY.
- According to a Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and Sequoia India report, India’s mobile gaming market is projected to reach $5 billion by 2025.
- This initiative is expected to spur startups in India’s northeast to further the online video gaming industry.
- The National Institute of Electronics and IT (NIELIT) will also establish a high-tech facility in Shillong, funded by the Ministry of Electronics (MeitY).
- Meghalaya’s capital is Shillong, its Chief Minister is Conrad Kongkal Sangma, and the Governor is D. Mishra.
Summits & Conferences
3. Inaugural Meeting of the G20’s Infrastructure Working Group in Pune
- From January 16-17, the first meeting of the G20 Infrastructure Working Group under the G20 India Presidency will be held in Pune.
- Australia, Brazil, and the Department of Economic Affairs are co-hosting the event.
- The group’s discussions center on infrastructure development as an asset class, among other infrastructure-related topics.
- The Working Group’s findings are critical to the G20 Finance Track’s priorities.
Banking and Financial
4. SBI Introduces e-Bank Guarantee with NeSL
- With the support of the National e-Governance Services Limited (NeSL), the State Bank of India (SBI) has rolled out the e-Bank Guarantee (e-BG) facility.
- Once e-BG is completely deployed, e-stamping and e-signatures will replace the current use of physical stamps and wet signatures.
- Beneficiaries on NeSL’s platform can instantly access an e-Bank Guarantee without additional verification, thanks to NeSL’s Digital Document Execution (DDE) technology, which incorporates e-Stamp and e-Sign functionalities. This move aims to increase transparency and drastically reduce processing times.
5. Sweden Houses Europe’s Largest Rare Earth Element Deposit
- Europe currently does not mine any rare earths and predominantly relies on imports, with around 98% coming from China.
- The periodic table features 17 elements known as the rare earth elements or metals. The largest known deposit in Europe has been discovered in northern Sweden by LKAB, a state-owned mining company.
6. 7th Annual Armed Forces Veterans Day Commemoration on January 14, 2023
- On January 14, 2023, the Indian Armed Forces celebrated their seventh Armed Forces Veterans Day.
- This day commemorates the retirement of Field Marshal KM Cariappa in 1953, India’s first commander-in-chief, and is celebrated as Veterans’ Day in his honor.
- This year, coordinated events were held in nine different cities across India, including Juhunjhunu, Jalandhar, Panagarh, New Delhi, Dehradun, Chennai, Chandigarh, Bhubaneshwar, and Mumbai, with the celebrations in Chennai led by Raksha Rajya Mantri. The day was initiated following the inaugural celebration on January 14, 2016, and has since been an annual tradition to honor the country’s military veterans and their families.