Daily Current Affairs 15 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 15 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 15 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 15 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)
- India has extended the ban on Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam for 5 more years, mentioning it an ‘unlawful association’.
- The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam was a Tamil militant and political organization that was based in north-eastern Sri Lanka.
- Its aim was to secure an independent state of Tamil Eelam in the north and east in response to the state policies of successive Sri Lankan governments towards Tamils.
- Leader: Velupillai Prabhakaran
- Thiruvenkadam Velupillai Prabhakaran was the founder and leader of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, a militant organization that sought to create an independent Tamil state in the north and east of Sri Lanka.
2. ‘Yuvika 2019’
- Young Scientist Programme ‘Yuvika 2019’ of ISRO has been inaugurated by ISRO Chairman Dr K. Sivan.
- It was inaugurated at Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- 107 students will get trained by ISRO Scientists as part of YUVIKA 2019.
3. Next Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court
- Justice DN Patel has been appointed as the next Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court.
- The High Court of Delhi was established on 31 October 1966. The High Court of Delhi was established with four judges. They were Chief Justice K. S. Hegde, Justice I. D. Dua, Justice H. R. Khanna and Justice S. K. Kapur.
4. Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation Commissioner
- Praveen Pardeshi took charge as the Commissioner of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
- The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, also known as Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, is the governing civic body of Mumbai, the capital city of Maharashtra. It is India’s richest municipal corporation. The MCGM’s annual budget exceeds that of some of India’s smaller states.
1. International Day of Families
- The International Day of Families is observed on the 15th of May every year.
- The Day is set to be Portugal’s PS favourite day for obvious reasons. The Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993 and reflects the importance the international community attaches to families.
- Theme :- ‘Families and Climate Action: Focus on SDG 13’
2. Consultative Group of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery
- India will co-chair the Consultative Group of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery for fiscal year 2020.
- India was unanimously elected by member countries for the same.
- The Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) is a global partnership that helps developing countries better understand and reduce their vulnerabilities to natural hazards and adapt to climate change.
3. Moon Mission ‘Artemis’
- NASA has named its 2024 Mission to Moon as ‘Artemis’.
- ‘Artemis’ is the Greek mythological goddess of the Moon and twin sister to Apollo.
- NASA:- Headquarters: Washington || Administrator: Jim Bridenstine || Formation: July 29, 1958
4. Nepalese Mountaineer Kami Rita Sherpa
- Kami Rita Sherpa has scaled the Mount Everest for the 23rd time.
- Kami Rita Sherpa, originally from Thame village in Nepal, was born 1970 and is a Nepali Sherpa guide who, since May 2018, has held the record for most ascents to the summit of Mount Everest.
- Mount Everest, known in Nepali as Sagarmatha and in Tibetan as Chomolungma, is Earth’s highest mountain above sea level, located in the Mahalangur Himal sub-range of the Himalayas. The international border between Nepal and China runs across its summit point.
- Elevation: 8,848 meter || First ascent: 29 May 1953 || Mountain range: Himalayas || First ascenders: Edmund Hillary, Tenzing Norgay || Countries: Nepal, China
- Junko tabei reached the summit of mount everest in 1970, becoming the first woman to ever do so.
1. New Chairman of ITC Limited
- ITC Limited. Managing Director Sanjiv Puri has been appointed as Chairman after the demise of Yogesh Chander Deveshwar.
- Yogesh Chander Deveshwar was an Indian businessman. He was the chairman of ITC Limited. He was the longest-serving CEO of any Indian company.
- Headquarters: Kolkata
2. BharatPe’s New Brand Ambassador
- Actor Salman Khan is signed as the brand ambassador of ‘BharatPe’.
- BharatPe is a merchant service and UPI payments app.
- Unified Payments Interface :- Introduced: 11 April 2016 || Owner: NPCI || CEO: Ashneer Grover
3. 2019 Cannes Film Festival
- The 2019 Cannes Film Festival has started in Palais des Festivals, Cannes, France.
- Founded in 1946, the invitation-only festival is held annually (usually in May) at the Palais des Festivals et des Congrès.
- It is one of the “Big Three” alongside the Venice Film Festival and Berlin International Film Festival.
1. IAAF World Relays
- The 4th edition of the IAAF World Relays was held at Yokohama, Japan.
- It is a platform to qualify for the IAAF World Athletics Championships Doha 2019.
- Indian men’s 4x400m teams and Indian women’s 4x400m teams finished at 17th position.
2. 2019 World Championships in Athletics
- The seventeenth edition of the IAAF World Championships is scheduled to be held between 27 September and 6 October 2019 in Doha, Qatar at the renovated multi-purpose Khalifa International Stadium.
- For the first time sponsors of national teams will be permitted to appear on the kit that the athletes compete in.
3. Premier League Golden Boot award
- Sadio Mane of Liverpool, Mohamed Salah of Liverpool and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Arsenal have shared Premier League Golden Boot Award.
- All Three have score 22 goals.
- The Premier League is the top level of the English football league system. Contested by 20 clubs, it operates on a system of promotion and relegation with the English Football League. The Premier League is a corporation in which the member clubs act as shareholders.
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31