Daily Current Affairs 15th May 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 15th May 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 15th May 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 15th May 2020 Current affairs test.
1. New Song by Indian Council for Cultural Relations
- A Song titled ‘United we Fight’ has been unveiled by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
- The Indian Council for Cultural Relations, is an autonomous organisation of the Government of India, involved in India’s external cultural relations, through cultural exchange with other countries and their peoples.
- Founder: Abul Kalam Azad || Founded: 9 April 1950, New Delhi || Headquarters location: New Delhi || President: Vinay Sahasrabuddhe || Director General: Akhilesh Mishra.
2. HOPE (Helping Out People Everywhere) Portal
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has launched ‘HOPE’ (Helping Out People Everywhere) Portal.
- Aim: To help unemployed youth to get jobs opportunities.
1. SCO Foreign Ministers’ Virtual Meet
- India will be participating in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Foreign Ministers’ meeting on Covid-19 which is being hosted by Russia.
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, or Shanghai Pact, is a Eurasian political, economic, and security alliance, the creation of which was announced on 15 June 2001 in Shanghai, China.
- The SCO currently comprises eight Member States (China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan).
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation: Headquarters: Beijing, China || Secretary General :Vladimir Norov
2. Slovenia is COVID-19 Free
- The Slovenia Government made an official end to its coronavirus epidemic thus becoming the first European country to do so.
- Capital: Ljubljana || Currency: Euro
3. Director-General at World Trade Organization (WTO) will step down
- Director-General at World Trade Organization Roberto Azevedo will step down a year before his term ends.
- The World Trade Organization is an intergovernmental organization that is concerned with the regulation of international trade between nations.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
4. Commonwealth Health Ministers Meeting
- Minister of Health & Family Welfare Dr. Harsh Vardhan has participated in the 32nd Virtual Commonwealth Health Ministers’ Meeting.
- The theme of the conference was “Delivering a co-ordinated Commonwealth COVID-19 response.”
1. India’s Growth Rate by United Nations
- The United Nations has slashed India’s projected growth rate to 1.2% in 2020.
- The global economy will contract sharply by 3.2 per cent as the Covid-19.
- The World Economic Situation and Prospects as of mid-2020 was released by United Nations.
Science and Technology News
1. Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Sachet’
- Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh has commissioned Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Sachet.
- The ICGS Sachet, the first in the series of five offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) has been designed & built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Limited.
1. New Director-General of Archaeological Survey of India
- V. Vidyavathi has been appointed as the new Director-General of Archaeological Survey of India.
- Archaeological Survey of India: Founder: Alexander Cunningham || Founded: 1861 || Headquarters: New Delhi.
1. International Day of Families
- The International Day of Families is observed on the 15th of May every year.
- The Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993 and reflects the importance the international community attaches to families.
- Theme 2020: ‘Families in Development’.
Award, Rankings and Indexes
1. World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Report
- International tourism could shrink by 60-80 per cent in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The revenue loss of dollar 910 billion to dollar 1.2 trillion and placing millions of livelihoods at risk.
- United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO): HQ- Madrid, Spain || UNWTO Secretary-General Zurab Pololikashvili
1. NADA disciplinary panel
- Indian boxer Akhil Kumar has been re-inducted into NADA disciplinary panel.
- The National Anti-Doping Agency is the national organisation responsible for promoting, coordinating, and monitoring the doping control program in sports in all its forms in India.
- CEO: Navin Agarwal || Founded: 24 November 2005 || Chairman: Minister of Sports || Motto: Play fair || Purpose: Anti-doping in sports || Headquarters: New Delhi