Daily Current Affairs 16 August 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16 August 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16 August 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16 August 2019 Current affairs test.
1. APJ Abdul Kalam award
- Chairman of ISRO K Sivan was conferred with Tamil Nadu Government’s Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam award.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation is the space agency of the Government of India headquartered in the city of Bengaluru. Its vision is to “harness space technology for national development while pursuing space science research and planetary exploration.”
- Headquarters: Bengaluru || Founder: Vikram Sarabhai || Founded: 15 August 1969
2. Naval Exercise MILAN
- Indian Navy will host Naval Exercise MILAN in March 2020 in Vizag.
- MILAN is a biennial exercise which was first started in 1995. Until last year the exercise was held at Andaman and Nicobar Command.
- The Indian Navy is the naval branch of the Indian Armed Forces. The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Navy. The Chief of Naval Staff, a four-star admiral, commands the navy.
- Chief of the Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh
3. Chief of Defence Staff
- Prime Minister Modi has announced the appointment of a Chief of Defence Staff.
- The Chief of Defence Staff will be above three Service Chiefs.
- Presently the senior most of the three Chiefs maintains as the Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee.
- The Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee, is the head of the Chiefs of Staff Committee.
- The most senior chief of staff is appointed to serve as a chairman until he retires.
- The current chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee is the Air chief marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa.
4. Vidya Sinha passes away
- Veteran Bollywood actor Vidya Sinha has passed away at 71.
- Vidya Sinha was an Indian actress who has acted in Bollywood films, most known for Rajnigandha, Chhoti Si Baat and PatiPatniAurWoh.
1. World Education Summit-2019
- The 14th edition of World Education Summit-2019 was held in New Delhi.
- Best Innovation and Initiative Leadership Award: Rajasthan
- Innovative Practices for Academic Excellence award: Sant Nandlal Vidya Mandir, Jharkhand
- Emerging University of India award: O P Jindal University, Raigarh, Chattisgarh
2. Meeting of BRICS Minister of Environment
- The 5th Meeting of BRICS Minister of Environment was held in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- The Indian delegation was led by Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar.
- BRICS is the acronym coined for an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. Originally the first four were grouped as “BRIC”, before the induction of South Africa in 2010.
1. Aadhaar enabled Payment System
- According to NPCI, Aadhaar enabled Payment System has crossed milestone of 200 million transactions in July 2019.
- The National Payments Corporation of India is an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments and settlement systems in India.
- NPCI: Founded: 2008 || Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra || MD & CEO: Mr. Dilip Asbe
- AADHAAR Enabled Payment System provides basic financial services (cash deposit, balance enquiry, cash withdrawal and remittance) at low cost access devices (called MicroATMs) maintained at Business correspondents in an inter-operable way.
2. World’s first negative interest home loan rate
- Jyske Bank of Denmark has launched the world’s first negative interest home loan rate where the interest charge is minus 0.5% a year.
- Negative interest rates effectively mean that a bank pays a borrower to take money off their hands, so they pay back less than they have been loaned.
- Jyske Bank: Founded: 1967 || Headquarters: Silkeborg, Denmark || CEO: Anders Dam
3. Director of National Institute of Health and Family Welfare
- Harshad Pandurang Thakur has been appointed as the director of National Institute of Health and Family Welfare.
- NIHFW is an autonomous organization, under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India which acts as an apex technical institute for the promotion of health and family welfare programmes in the country.
1. New transgender inclusive policy by Cricket Australia
- Cricket Australia has announced new guidelines with ICC’s Gender Recognition Policy to include transgender players to play cricket.
- Cricket Australia, formerly known as the Australian Cricket Board, is the governing body for professional and amateur cricket in Australia.
- It was originally formed in 1905 as the ‘Australian Board of Control for International Cricket’. It is incorporated as an Australian Public Company, limited by guarantee.
- CEO: Kevin Roberts || Headquarters: Melbourne, Australia
2. Physical Disability T20 World Cricket Series 2019
- India won the T20 Physical Disability World Cricket Series 2019 after defeating England.
- The tournament was organized by England and Wales Cricket Board with 6 teams- India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, England, Bangladesh, and Zimbabwe.
3. Cricket Association of Uttarakhand with BCCI
- Cricket Association of Uttarakhand has been granted full membership in BCCI by the Committee of Administrators.
- BCCI: Chief executive officer- Rahul Johri || Men’s coach- Ravi Shastri || Women’s coach- W.V. Raman || President- CK Khanna (interim)
4. UEFA Super Cup
- The 2019 UEFA Super Cup was the 44th edition of the UEFA Super Cup, an annual football match organised by UEFA.
- Winner: Liverpool
- Runner-up: Chelsea
- It is contested by the reigning champions of the two main European club competitions, the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League.
- Daily Current Affairs: August 1
- Daily Current Affairs: August 2
- Daily Current Affairs: August 3
- Daily Current Affairs: August 4
- Daily Current Affairs: August 5
- Daily Current Affairs: August 6
- Daily Current Affairs: August 7
- Daily Current Affairs: August 8
- Daily Current Affairs: August 9
- Daily Current Affairs: August 10
- Daily Current Affairs: August 11
- Daily Current Affairs: August 12
- Daily Current Affairs: August 13
- Daily Current Affairs: August 14
- Daily Current Affairs: August 15
- Daily Current Affairs: August 16
- Daily Current Affairs: August 17
- Daily Current Affairs: August 18
- Daily Current Affairs: August 19
- Daily Current Affairs: August 20
- Daily Current Affairs: August 21
- Daily Current Affairs: August 22
- Daily Current Affairs: August 23
- Daily Current Affairs: August 24
- Daily Current Affairs: August 25
- Daily Current Affairs: August 26
- Daily Current Affairs: August 27
- Daily Current Affairs: August 28
- Daily Current Affairs: August 29
- Daily Current Affairs: August 30
- Daily Current Affairs: August 31