Daily Current Affairs 16 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. ABHYAS High-Speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT)
- DRDO has conducted a successful flight test of ABHYAS High-Speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) at Chandipur in Odisha.
- The ABHYAS is an advanced expendable target which can be used for simulating different types of aircraft and missiles.
2. Exercise ‘Bull Strike’
- Indian Army, Navy and Air Force hold a joint exercise ‘Bull Strike’ in Andaman and Nicobar.
- It was held at Teressa Island in Andaman and Nicobar.
3. ‘Falcon Slayers’ and ‘AMRAAM Dodgers’ patches
- Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman has received special ‘Falcon Slayers’ and ‘AMRAAM Dodgers’ patches.
- He shot down Pakistan Air Force’s Falcon-16.
- Onboard on Sukhoi Su-30 MKI squadron, He successfully evaded Pakistan’s AMRAAM missiles.
1. World’s first woman to cross Atlantic Ocean with Light Sports Aircraft
- Captain Aarohi Pandit of India has become world’s first woman to cross Atlantic Ocean solo in a Light Sports Aircraft ‘Mahi’.
- The Atlantic Ocean is the second largest of the world’s oceans, with an area of about 106,460,000 square kilometres.
- It covers approximately 20 percent of the Earth’s surface and about 29 percent of its water surface area. It separates the “Old World” from the “New World”.
2. Next president of the UN General Assembly
- India has expressed its support to Tijjani Muhammad-Bande as the next president of the UN General Assembly.
- Tijjani Muhammad-Bande is a Nigerian political scientist, administrator and career diplomat. He was the permanent representative of Nigeria to United Nations and served as the Vice-President of the General Assembly during its 71st session in September 2016.
3. First ‘well-being budget’ of New Zealand
- In first ‘well-being budget’ of New Zealand, Govt. will give special emphasis to mental health.
- New Zealand is set to become the world’s 1st country to measure its success based on the well-being of citizens.
- Capital: Wellington || Prime minister: Jacinda Ardern
1. Doordarshan’s Online Souvenir Store
- Doordarshan with help of Amazon India to launch an online souvenir store for its viewers.
- Doordarshan is an autonomous public service broadcaster founded by the Government of India, owned by the Broadcasting Ministry of India and one of PrasarBharati’s two divisions. One of India’s largest broadcasting organisations in studio and transmitter infrastructure, it was established on 15 September 1959.
- Motto: Satyam Shivam Sundaram || Founder: Government of India || Founded: 15 September 1959, Delhi
2. NPA recovery via IBC
- Acc. to a report from CRISIL, NPA recoveries through the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code route was at Rs 70000 crore.
- A non-performing loan is a loan that is in default or close to being in default. Many loans become non-performing after being in default for 90 days, but this can depend on the contract terms.
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 is the bankruptcy law of India which seeks to consolidate the existing framework by creating a single law for insolvency and bankruptcy. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2015 was introduced in Lok Sabha in December 2015.
- CRISIL is a global analytical company providing ratings, research, and risk and policy advisory services. CRISIL’s majority shareholder is Standard & Poor’s, a division of McGraw Hill Financial and provider of financial market intelligence.
3. HDFC Limited with India Mortgage Guarantee Corporation
- HDFC Limited has partnered with India Mortgage Guarantee Corporation in a Mortgage-Guaranteed Home Loan Product sector.
- India’s first Mortgage Guarantee Company, India Mortgage Guarantee Corporation (IMGC) is a joint venture that combines the developmental mandate of National Housing Bank (NHB), the technical expertise of Genworth Financial, and the resources of International Finance Corporation (IFC) & Asian Development Bank (ADB).
4. National Mission for Clean Ganga with HCL Foundation and INTACH
- National Mission for Clean Ganga has signed an MoU with HCL Foundation and INTACH for Project ‘Plantation of Rudraksh Trees’.
- It was taken as a part of CSR initiative under the Namami Gange Programme.
1. First India female match referee in ICC
- GS Lakshmi has become first female match referee to be inducted into ICC’s International Panel.
- The International Cricket Council is the global governing body of cricket. It was founded as the Imperial Cricket Conference in 1909 by representatives from Australia, England and South Africa. It was renamed as the International Cricket Conference in 1965, and took up its current name in 1989.
- Designated CEO: Manu Sawhney || CEO: Dave Richardson || Chairperson: Shashank Manohar || Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates || Current champion: Ireland cricket team
2. Robin van Persie retires
- Robin van Persie is a Dutch former professional footballer who played as a forward.
- He Played his last match for his boyhood club Feyenoord.
3. India Open Boxing Tournament
- The 2nd Edition of India Open will be held in Guwahati from May 20-24.
- Mary Kom is set to make her competitive debut in the 51 kg category event for the same.
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31