Daily Current Affairs 16 February 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16 February 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16 February 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16 February 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Heritage Instrument of Goa
- ‘Ghumot’ will be notified as a heritage instrument of Goa.
- ‘Ghumot’ is a membranophone instrument from Goa, India. ‘Ghumot’ is a percussion instrument of earthen vessel having both sides open; on the bigger opening a leather of monitor lizard is mounted.
2. Godavari Mega Aqua Food Park
- Union Minister of Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur Badal has commissioned Godavari Mega Aqua Food Park at Tundurru Village in West Godavari District, Andhra Pradesh.
- It is the first Mega Aqua Food Park operationalised exclusively for fish and marine products
3. Swachhata Excellence awards 2019
- Raigarh Municipal Corporation, Chhattisgarh has won the ‘Swachhata Excellence awards 2019’.
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or Swachh Bharat Mission is a nation-wide campaign in India for the period 2014 to 2019 that aims to clean up the streets, roads and infrastructure of India’s cities, towns, and rural areas. The campaign’s official name is in Hindi and translates to “Clean India Mission” in English.
4. World Sustainable Development Summit 2019
- World Sustainable Development Summit 2019 was inaugurated by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- It was organised by ‘The Energy and Resources Institute’ (TERI).
1. Mars rover ‘Opportunity’
- NASA has declared its Longest-Running Mars Rover ‘Opportunity’ dead after unable to contact it.
- Opportunity, also known as MER-B or MER-1, and nicknamed Oppy, is a robotic rover that was active on Mars from 2004 to 2018.
2. Philippine as ‘Maharlika’
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is planning to modify country’s name to ‘Maharlika’.
- ‘Philippines’ was named after Spanish King Philip II.
3. Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince’s 1st state visit to India
- On February 19-20, Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman will make his first state visit to India.
- The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia is the second most important position in Saudi Arabia, second to the King, and is his designated successor. Currently, the Crown Prince assumes power with the approval of the Allegiance Council after he is appointed by the King.
4. 2018 Seoul Peace Prize
- PM Modi will visit Korea where he will be conferred with the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize at a ceremony.
- The Seoul Peace Prize was established in 1990 as a biennial recognition with monetary award to commemorate the success of the 24th Summer Olympic Games held in Seoul, Korea, an event in which 160 nations from across the world took part, creating harmony and friendship.
- The Seoul Peace Prize was established to reflect the wishes of the Korean people and to crystallize their desire for everlasting peace on earth. The nominating group consists of 300 Korean nationals, and 800 internationals. The awardee receives a diploma, a plaque and honorarium of US$200,000.
1. MasterCard’s new Chief Financial Officer
- Sachin Mehra has been appointed as MasterCard’s new Chief Financial Officer.
- He will take over Ms Martina Hund-Mejean’s position as CFO on April 1, and will report to Ajay Banga, the company’s chief executive officer.
2. K-SWIFT (Kerala Single Window Interface for Fast, Transparent Clearances)
- Kerala Govt. has launched software application K-SWIFT to ensure clearance of investment proposals within 30 days.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram || Chief minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
3. Mission SPHEREx
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration has announced a new mission ‘SPHEREx’ with a aim to explore the origins and evolution of the universe.
- The Launching year of SPHEREx will be 2023.
4. Amazon with Axis Bank
- Amazon in partnership with Axis Bank launched ‘Amazon Pay Unified Payment Interface’.
- Amazon :- Headquarter: Seattle, Washington, US || Founder, Chairman and CEO: Jeff Bozos
1. 83rd Yonex-Sunrise Senior Badminton Nationals
- Saina Nehwal beat P V Sindhu in the women’s singles title.
- Sourabh Verma has claimed the men’s singles title by defeating Lakshya Sen.
2. Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
- The 2019 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup will be the 28th edition of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup. It will be held in Ipoh, Malaysia from 23 until 30 March.
- It is an annual international men’s field hockey tournament held in Malaysia. It began in 1983 as a biennial contest. The tournament became an annual event after 1998, following its growth and popularity.
3. Irani Cup
- Vidarbha has retained Irani Cup after the match ended in a draw with ‘Rest of India’.
- The Z. R. Irani Cup tournament was conceived during the 1959-60 season to mark the completion of 25 years of the Ranji Trophy championship and was named after the late Z. R. Irani, who was associated with the Board of Control for Cricket in India from its inception in 1928, till his death in 1970.
- Daily Current Affairs: February 1
- Daily Current Affairs: February 2
- Daily Current Affairs: February 3
- Daily Current Affairs: February 4
- Daily Current Affairs: February 5
- Daily Current Affairs: February 6
- Daily Current Affairs: February 7
- Daily Current Affairs: February 8
- Daily Current Affairs: February 9
- Daily Current Affairs: February 10
- Daily Current Affairs: February 11
- Daily Current Affairs: February 12
- Daily Current Affairs: February 13
- Daily Current Affairs: February 14