Daily Current Affairs 16 January 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16 January 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16 January 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16 January 2018 Current affairs test.
1. Govt withdraws Haj subsidy for pilgrims
- Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said that the subsidy would be redirected for the education of minority girls.
- He added that the main beneficiary of the Rs.700 cr Haj was Air India.
2. Army to launch Aadhaar-based grievance redressal system
- Army Chief Bipin Rawat said that a new mobile app is being developed for soldiers to report their grievances.
- He also added that the Army will start a law college near Pune.
3. Lucknow metro starts a contest
- ’Share your Selfie’ is aimed at attracting passengers.
- Passengers must click selfie inside the metro and the top 50 selfies will be displayed at an exhibition in Charbagh next month.
1. People flee as lava flows out of Philippine volcano
- 15,000 people fled their homes after lava rolled down the slopes of Philippine volcano Mount Mayon.
- The most destructive eruption of the volcano is believed to have happened to 1814.
2. Ukraine nuclear site transformed into solar plant
- Chernobyl nuclear disaster site has been transformed after 32 years, however, it would take 24,000 yrs before people can inhabit.
- 4000 solar panels capable of providing electricity to 2000 homes are being installed ta the site.
3. Rocket lands in Indian Embassy
- A rocket landed in the premises of Indian embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- The residential compound of India’s ambassador in Kabul was hit last June.
1. Bitcoin falls to its lowest since December
- Bitcoin fell to 11,440 dollars and is down more than 40% from its record high of 19,700 dollars achieved in mid-December.
- Ethereum and Ripple also fell more than 20% each in the past 24 hrs.
2. Construction company Carillion collapses
- UK’s second largest construction company announced that it is liquidating its assets after rescue talks with govt and banks failed.
- The company had 1.38 billion dollars debt and an $827 mn pension deficit.
3. Hindustan Unilever crosses 3 trillion dollars market capitalisation
- It is the 8th Indian company to achieve the milestone.
- The company’s shares surged by 66% in the last one year.
1. Karthik back in Test team after 8 yrs
- Indian wicketkeeper Dinesh Karthik is set to return to the Indian Test team for the first time since 2010.
- He will replace injured Wriddhiman Saha in the third Test in Johannesburg.
2. Captain hits India’s 85% runs in 10-wkt win
- India’s U-19 captain Prithvi Shaw scored 57 of India’s 67 runs over Papua New Guinea.
- India will face Zimbabwe next.
- Daily Current Affairs: January 1
- Daily Current Affairs: January 2
- Daily Current Affairs: January 3
- Daily Current Affairs: January 4
- Daily Current Affairs: January 5
- Daily Current Affairs: January 6
- Daily Current Affairs: January 7
- Daily Current Affairs: January 8
- Daily Current Affairs: January 9
- Daily Current Affairs: January 10
- Daily Current Affairs: January 11
- Daily Current Affairs: January 12
- Daily Current Affairs: January 13
- Daily Current Affairs: January 14
- Daily Current Affairs: January 15