Daily Current Affairs 16 January 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16 January 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16 January 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16 January 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Initiative–Womaniya on GeM
- ‘Womaniya on GeM’ Initiative will enable women entrepreneurs and SHGs to sell different products at the platform.
- Government eMarketplace (GeM) has launched this Initiative.
- Self Help Groups (SHGs) are a financial intermediary committee usually composed of 10–20 local women or men and are small groups of poor people. The members of an SHG face similar problems. They help each other, to solve their problems. SHGs promote small savings among their members.
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) is a very bold step of the Government with the aim to transform the way in which procurement of goods and services is done by the Government Ministries/Departments, PSUs, autonomous bodies etc.
2. Sita Rama Lift Irrigation Project
- Telangana Govt. has approved Sita Rama Lift Irrigation Project which aims to divert Godavari river water for irrigation.
- The Godavari is India’s second longest river after the Ganga. Its source is in Triambakeshwar, Maharashtra.
- Godavari river is the largest in peninsular India, and had been dubbed as the Dakshina Ganga – Ganges of the South.
3. Voter Awareness Forums (VAF)
- Election Commission of India will set up Voter Awareness Forums in Ministries, Government Dept, Non-Government Dept. and other institutions.
- The aim is to promote electoral awareness.
- The Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering election processes in India. The body administers elections to the Lok Sabha and state Legislative Assemblies in India, and the offices of the President and Vice President in the country.
- Formed: 25 January 1950 || Jurisdiction: Government of India || Headquarters: New Delhi || First executive: Sukumar Sen || Preceding executive: Sunil Arora.
4. Tallest Shiva lingam in the country
- The India Book of Records has certified the 111.2-feet Shiva lingam of Maheshwaram Sri Shiva Parvathy Temple at Chenkal, Kerala as the tallest Shiva lingam in the country.
- Kailashnath Mahadev Statue is the world’s tallest Shiva statue. It is second tallest Hindu deity after Garuda Wisnu Kencana Statue in Bali, Indonesia. It is situated in Sanga, on the border of the Bhaktapur and Kavrepalanchwok districts in Nepal, about 20 km from Kathmandu.
1. Sir Michael Atiyah passes away
- British mathematician specialising in geometry Sir Michael Atiyah has passed away at 89.
- He received the 1966 Fields Medal, also known as the ‘Nobel for Mathematics’.
- The Fields Medal is a prize awarded to two, three, or four mathematicians under 40 years of age at the International Congress of the International Mathematical Union, a meeting that takes place every four years.
2. Chang’e 4 mission
- Chang’e 4 has sprouted the cotton seeds which happens to be the first biological matter has ever grown on the Moon.
- Chang’e 4 is a Chinese lunar exploration mission that achieved the first soft landing on the far side of the Moon, on 3 January 2019. A communication relay satellite, Queqiao, was first launched to a halo orbit near the Earth-Moon L₂ point in May 2018.
3. Jharkhand International Film Festival
- The 2nd Edition of Jharkhand International Film Festival (JIFF) in Ranchi, Jharkhand from 1st to 3rd February, 2019.
- It is being organized by Navbharat Nirman Sangh, an NGO.
- It will showcase the best of Jharkhand Regional Films being made in Napuri, Santhali, Kortha and Kumali languages.
1. India’s Largest Startup Ecosystem
- India’s Largest Startup Ecosystem Hub is in Kalamassery, Kochi, Kerala with a 1,000-seat capacity.
- After the completion of three more projects, Kerala will have startup and incubation space of 5 lakh sq ft, which will be largest of these type in the world.
2. Recapitalisation of Export-Import Bank of India
- Union Cabinet, chaired by the PM Modi, has approved the recapitalization of EXIM Bank.
- Recapitalization Bonds by Government of India to the tune of Rs.6,000 crore for capital infusion in Exim Bank.
- An increase in the authorized capital of Exim Bank from Rs. 10,000 crore to Rs. 20,000 crore.
- Export–Import Bank of India is the premier export finance institution in India, established in 1982 under Export-Import Bank of India Act 1981. Since its inception, Exim Bank of India has been both a catalyst and a key player in the promotion of cross border trade and investment.
3. National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development
- A Regional Centre of National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development is inaugurated by Maneka Gandhi at Mohali, Pumjab.
- The National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development is an Indian government agency in New Delhi under the Ministry of Women and Children Development tasked with promotion of voluntary action research, training and documentation in the overall domain of women empowerment and child development in India.
1. Andy Murray with a statue
- Wimbledon will honour Andy Murray with a statue at the All England Club.
- The Championships, Wimbledon, commonly known simply as Wimbledon, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world, and is widely regarded as the most prestigious. It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London, since 1877 and is played on outdoor grass courts.
- Andy Murray is two-time Wimbledon champion and former world number one from Britain.
2. New CEO of International Cricket Council
- Manu Sawhney has been appointed as the CEO of International Cricket Council.
- He will be replacing David Richardson in July 2019.
3. Women’s chief Boxing Coach
- Mohammed Ali Qamar has been named as Women’s chief Boxing Coach.
- Mohammed Ali Qamar is a boxer from Kolkata, India. He was the first Indian to win a gold medal in the discipline of boxing in the Commonwealth Games at the 2002 Commonwealth Games held in Manchester.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,16 January
- Daily Current Affairs: January 1
- Daily Current Affairs: January 2
- Daily Current Affairs: January 3
- Daily Current Affairs: January 4
- Daily Current Affairs: January 5
- Daily Current Affairs: January 6
- Daily Current Affairs: January 7
- Daily Current Affairs: January 8
- Daily Current Affairs: January 9
- Daily Current Affairs: January 10
- Daily Current Affairs: January 11
- Daily Current Affairs: January 12
- Daily Current Affairs: January 13
- Daily Current Affairs: January 14
- Daily Current Affairs: January 15
- Daily Current Affairs: January 16
- Daily Current Affairs: January 17
- Daily Current Affairs: January 18
- Daily Current Affairs: January 19
- Daily Current Affairs: January 20
- Daily Current Affairs: January 21
- Daily Current Affairs: January 22
- Daily Current Affairs: January 23
- Daily Current Affairs: January 24
- Daily Current Affairs: January 25
- Daily Current Affairs: January 26
- Daily Current Affairs: January 27
- Daily Current Affairs: January 28
- Daily Current Affairs: January 29
- Daily Current Affairs: January 30
- Daily Current Affairs: January 31