Daily Current Affairs 16 June 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16 June 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16 June 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16 June 2018 Current affairs test.
1. Veteran journalist Adiraju Venkateswara Rao passes away
- Veteran journalist and author Adiraju Venkateswara Rao passed away in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- He worked for several Telugu and English dailies and news agencies including Andhra Jyothi, Udayam, Deccan Chronicle, Indian Express, Himachal Times and Hindustan Samachar at Hyderabad and Delhi.
2. NLCIL’s Three 100 MW Solar Power Projects Dedicated to the Nation
- The Union Minister for Railways, Coal, Finance & Company Affairs, Mr Piyush Goyal inaugurated Neyveli Lignite Corporation India Limited (NLCIL)’s three 100 MW Solar Power Projects for commercial operation and dedicated these projects to the Nation in Tamil Nadu.
- The Solar Power projects were erected at a cost of Rs.1300 Crores, which includes Operation & Maintenance cost for 15 Years.
3. Conference on Implementation of NPS by the CABs Held in Delhi
- A Conference on Implementation of National Pension System (NPS) by the Central Autonomous Bodies (CABs) was organized by Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) in Delhi.
- The prime objective was to provide a forum to all the CABs, where the progress in the implementation of NPS with respect to compliance of timelines in various NPS related activities could be brought to the fore and a way forward could be provided.
4. Railways to issue credit card-like health cards to employees
- Indian Railways has decided to issue credit card-like plastic health cards carrying a unique all-India number to its employees and pensioners.
- At present, the medical cards issued by the zonal railways are in the form of booklets which resemble ration cards. Each dependent of the employee and the pensioner will also get a separate medical identity card.
1. Peggy Whitson most experienced space woman in the world retires as astronaut
- NASA’s record-breaking astronaut, Peggy Whitson, retired after a 22-year-long career.
- She is the oldest woman to go into space and also the most experienced female spacewalker, with 10 missions.
2. Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis seeks World Bank support for twin projects
- Two projects were mooted for the World Bank’s assistance: 1) Rural transformation through sustainable livelihood in 10,000 villages and 2) A multimodal transport corridor in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region.
- The Ford Motor Company submitted a proposal of 50 million USD for setting up a Centre of Excellence for integrated mobility in Maharashtra.
3. SBI to stop handling Iran oil payments after US sanctions
- India’s imports of Iranian oil will be hit from August-end after SBI informed refiners that it won’t handle payments for crude from Iran from November.
- This comes after US President Donald Trump pulled out of Iran nuclear deal and pledged to impose “highest level of sanctions” within 180 days.
4. Georgia’s PM Giorgi Kvirikashvili Resigns
- Giorgi Kvirikashvili, prime minister of Georgia, has announced his resignation amid a disagreement with Bidzina Ivanishvili, the leader of the ruling party.
- Kvirikashvili, 50, has been the country’s prime minister since 2015.
1. PhonePe Partners With Ola
- Flipkart-owned PhonePe has partnered cab aggregator Ola that will allow riders to book rides using the former’s payment platform.
- With this partnership, users can enjoy the ease of using their preferred ride-sharing app from within PhonePe while being assured of the reliability and integrity of their payments. PhonePe has also added ‘Auto-pay’ feature that allows users to make payments seamlessly.
2. India’s exports hit 6 month high of 28.86 billion dollar in May
- India’s exports hit 6 month high of 28.86 billion dollar in May. Costlier crude also caused imports to grow 15% in the month, leaving a four month high trade deficit of $14.62 billion, or about Rs 99,975 crore.
- Major commodity groups of export showing positive growth over the corresponding month of last year included petroleum products (104.47%), organic and inorganic chemicals (34.21%), drugs and pharmaceuticals (25.67%), cotton yarn (24.7%), and engineering goods (14.77%).
3. US imposes 25% tariff on $50-billion Chinese imports
- The US on Friday imposed a tariff of 25% on $50 billion worth of Chinese imports, further escalating the ‘trade war’ between the two countries.
- After the US imposed a 25% tariff on Chinese imports, China announced tariffs on US imports . The tariffs targeted Chinese technology imports worth $50 billion.
1. Smriti Mandhana to Become 1st Indian to Play in England’s Kia Super League
- India Women’s Cricket team opener Smriti Mandhana will become the first Indian player to appear in Kia Super League – the women’s cricket super league in England.
- Smriti was signed by Western Storm and will represent them in the upcoming edition of the tournament that features six teams.
2. Virat Kohli clears Yo-Yo test; Ambati Rayudu fails
- Virat Kohli is all set to take part in the two-match T20 Internationals in Ireland after comfortably clearing the YoYo test.
- Ambati Rayudu is set to be dropped after failing to attain required parameters in Bengaluru on Friday.
3. FIFA World Cup 2018: Cristiano Ronaldo’s Hat-trick Denies Spain Win in Six-goal Match
- Cristiano Ronaldo scored a hat-trick as Portugal snatched a 3-3 draw with Spain in a World Cup.
- Real Madrid star Ronaldo crashed in an 88th minute free-kick to snatch a point for Portugal.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,16 June
- Daily Current Affairs: June 1
- Daily Current Affairs: June 2
- Daily Current Affairs: June 3
- Daily Current Affairs: June 4
- Daily Current Affairs: June 5
- Daily Current Affairs: June 6
- Daily Current Affairs: June 7
- Daily Current Affairs: June 8
- Daily Current Affairs: June 9
- Daily Current Affairs: June 10
- Daily Current Affairs: June 11
- Daily Current Affairs: June 12
- Daily Current Affairs: June 13
- Daily Current Affairs: June 14
- Daily Current Affairs: June 15