Daily Current Affairs 16 October 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16 October 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16 October 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16 October 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Garbage Cafe
- Chhattisgarh Health Minister TS Singhdeo has inaugurated India’s first ‘Garbage Cafe’ in Ambikapur, Chhattisgarh.
- Tagline: ‘More the waste better the taste’.
- This Cafe will provide free food in exchange for plastic waste.
2. One Nation One Tag – FASTag
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari has inaugurated conference on ‘One Nation One Tag – FASTag’ in New Delhi.
- FASTag is a simple to use, reloadable tag which enables automatic deduction of toll charges and lets you pass through the toll plaza without stopping for the cash transaction.
- FASTag is linked to a prepaid account from which the applicable toll amount is deducted.
3. Sangam Youth Festival
- ‘Sangam Youth Festival’ was organised by Indian Army in collaboration with Jammu University Campus.
- Aim: To spread the message of peace, prosperity, communal harmony and national integration.
4. National Indigenous Seed Festival
- National Indigenous Seeds Festival was held at Central Agricultural University, Manipur.
- Manipur: Capital: Imphal || Governor: Najma Heptulla || Chief minister: N. Biren Singh
1. KHON Ramlila of Thailand
- The Culture Department of Uttar Pradesh will organise India’s first training and performance programme of world famous KHON Ramlila Dance of Thailand.
- KHON Ramlila of Thailand is a form of masked dance depicting the scenes of Ramlila.
- KHON Ramlila is included in the list of UNESCO’s Intangible cultural heritage.
- It has no dialogues and background voices narrate the whole story of Ramayana.
- Thailand: Capital: Bangkok || Currency: Thai baht
2. Sara Danius passes away
- Sara Danius was the first female head of the prestigious Swedish body which awards the Nobel Prize in Literature.
- Sara Maria Danius was a Swedish literary critic and philosopher, and a scholar of literature and aesthetics.
3. World Food Day
- World Food Day is an international day celebrated every year around the world on 16 October in honor of the date of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in 1945.
- Theme: ‘Our actions are our future. Healthy diets for a #zerohunger world’.
- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. Serving both developed and developing countries, FAO acts as a neutral forum where all nations meet as equals to negotiate arguments and debate policy.
- FAO: Headquarters: Rome, Italy || Head: Qu Dongyu || Founded: 16 October 1945, Quebec City, Canada
4. World report on Vision by World Health Organization
- The first World report on Vision is issued by World Health Organization along with International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness.
- Globally more than 2.2 billion people have a vision impairment.
- The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. The WHO is a member of the United Nations Development Group.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland || Head: TedrosAdhanom || Founded: 7 April 1948
1. First airline to use Taxibot on A320 aircraft
- Air India has become the first airline in the world to use a Taxibot on a A320 aircraft with passengers on board.
- Air India is the flag carrier airline of India, headquartered at New Delhi. It is owned by Air India Limited, a government-owned enterprise, and operates a fleet of Airbus and Boeing aircraft serving 94 domestic and international destinations.
- Ashwani Lohani is presently the Chairman & Managing Director of Air India and has previously been the Chairman of the Railway Board of Indian Railways.
2. Inter Parliamentarian Union
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla attended the 141st Assembly of Inter Parliamentarian Union at Serbia.
- The Inter-Parliamentary Union is a global inter-parliamentary institution established in 1889 by Frédéric Passy and William Randal Cremer. It was the first permanent forum for political multilateral negotiations.
- Headquarters location: Geneva, Switzerland || President: Gabriela Cuevas Barron || Founded: 1889 || Secretary General: Martin Chungong || Legal status: International organization || Founders: Frédéric Passy, Randal Cremer
3. New Controller General of Accounts
- Government of India has appointed JPS Chawla as the new Controller General of Accounts replacing Girraj Prasad Gupta.
- The Controller General of Accounts (CGA), in the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, is the Principal Accounting Adviser to Government of India and is responsible for establishing and maintaining a technically sound Management Accounting System.
1. Super-over Rule
- ICC has changed the Super-over Rule for all its major tournaments.
- As per new rule, in case of a super over tie, there will be a repeated super over until one team has more runs than the other.
2. Bahrain International Series
- Badminton Player Priyanshu Rajawat of India has won Men’s singles title at Bahrain International Series.
- Juhi Dewangan and Venkat Gaurav Prasad of India have also won Mixed Doubles title at Bahrain International Series.