Daily Current Affairs 16th 17th May 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16th 17th May 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16th 17th May 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16th 17th May 2020 Current affairs test.
1. Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has approved the launch of Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme with an outlay of 400 Crore.
- Aim: To give a boost to domestic defence and aerospace manufacturing.
2. Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
- Government of India will launch Rs 20000 crore Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana for development of marine & inland fisheries.
- The Ministry of Finance is an important ministry within the Government of India concerned with the economy of India, serving as the Indian Treasury Department.
1. Digital Health EMI Network Card
- Bajaj Finserv has launched ‘Digital Health EMI Network Card’ to make medical expenses affordable.
- Bajaj Finance Limited : Headquarters: Pune || CEO: Sanjiv Bajaj
1. Facebook acquires Giphy
- Facebook has acquired the popular GIF website GIPHY for a reported dollar 400 million.
- Giphy, styled as GIPHY, is an American online database and search engine that allows users to search for and share short looping videos with no sound, that resemble animated GIF files.
2. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank with West Bengal Government
- West Bengal Government and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank have signed a loan agreement for a 145 million USD to improve irrigation services and flood management in the state.
- AIIB: Headquarters: Beijing, China || President: Jin Liqun
3. General Atlantic to invest in Jio
- US-based General Atlantic will invest Rs 6598 crore in Reliance Jio for 1.34% stake.
- Vista Equity Partners will invest Rs 11367 crore in Jio Platforms for a 2.32% stake.
- Silver Lake had invested dollar 5.7 billion for a 9.99% stake.
- Facebook had invested dollar 747 million for a 1.15% stake.
4. Tribal Affairs Ministry with Facebook
- Tribal Affairs Ministry in partnership with Facebook has launched ‘Goal Programme’ for Digital Skilling of Tribal Youths.
- Tribal Affairs Minister- Arjun Munda (Khunti, Jharkhand)
1. International Day of Living Together in Peace
- International Day of Living Together in Peace is observed on 16th May.
- The UN General-Assembly, in its resolution 72/130, declared 16 May the International Day of Living Together in Peace, as a means of regularly mobilizing the efforts of the international community to promote peace, tolerance, inclusion, understanding and solidarity.
- Aim: To create a worldwide movement in favour of an awareness that a fraternal bond based on the Culture of Peace is a necessity for Humanity.
2. International Day of Light
- The International Day of Light is celebrated on 16 May each year.
- The anniversary of the first successful operation of the laser in 1960 by physicist and engineer, Theodore Maiman.
3. World Telecommunication Day
- World Telecommunication Day is observed on 17th May.
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day is an international day proclaimed in November 2006 by the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference in Antalya, Turkey.
- Theme: ‘Connect 2030: ICTs for Sustainable Development Goals’.
4. World Hypertension Day
- World Hypertension Day is observed on 17th May by the World Hypertension League (WHL).
- World Hypertension Day is a day designated and initiated by The World Hypertension League, which is itself an umbrella to organizations of 85 national hypertension societies and leagues. The day was initiated to increase the awareness of hypertension.
- Theme: ‘Measure Your Blood Pressure, Control It, Live Longer’.