Daily Current Affairs 16th August 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16th August 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business, and Sports related current affairs of 16th August 2023. We have briefly explained every current affairs matter to help you further understand your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs, we would recommend that you try the 16th August 2023 Current Affairs test.
1. Pakistan Welcomes Anwarul Haq Kakar as Interim Prime Minister
- Anwarul Haq Kakar, a notable Pushtun leader with strong connections to the military, was sworn in as Pakistan’s youngest and 8th interim Prime Minister.
- Kakar’s new role involves leading a neutral government, overseeing the upcoming general elections, and tackling the nation’s economic challenges.
- In the past, Kakar represented the Balochistan provincial government as a spokesperson in 2013 and earned a position in the Pakistani Senate in March 2018. He won his Senate position representing Balochistan as an independent candidate during the Senate elections of 2018.
2. Recession Strikes the Netherlands
- The Netherlands is experiencing a recession, having seen a 0.3% economic contraction in the recent quarter, following a 0.4% drop in the previous three months. It’s the first recession since the global pandemic.
- A decline in both consumer expenditures and exports has impacted the economy, with consumer spending dipping by 1.6% and exports decreasing by 0.7% compared to the initial quarter.
- Despite a drop from its 14.5% peak in September 2022, inflation remains high at 6% in Q2 2023. The economic downturn is projected to affect employment, leading to an increase in unemployment from 3.5% to 4%.
3. Goa Introduces Complimentary IVF Treatment in State Hospital
- Marking a significant leap in healthcare, Goa’s Medical College has now integrated IVF services in its superspeciality block, catering to the community’s requirements with empathy and pioneering efforts. Around 100 prospective parents have already signed up at GMC to access the IVF services.
- The introduction coincides with the booming demand for fertility treatments in the nation. As per Ernst & Young’s recent report, the fertility sector has witnessed a commendable growth of 1520% annually over the last five years.
- High IVF treatment costs in India, which can vary between Rs 70,000 and Rs 3 lakh based on the hospital and procedure intricacy, have been a barrier for many aspiring parents.
4. India Set to Introduce its First LongRange Revolver, ‘Prabal’
- Emphasizing selfreliance and innovation, the public sector entity Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited (AWEIL) from Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, is gearing up to launch ‘Prabal,’ marking the country’s entry into longrange revolvers. The release is scheduled for August 18, signaling a new chapter in personal defense weaponry.
- Developed by AWEIL, this 32bore firearm is notable for its impressive range, accurately targeting up to 50 meters. A notable feature includes its sideswing cylinder, which simplifies reloading and enhances userfriendliness.
- Designed for convenience, the ‘Prabal’ weighs around 700 grams (without ammunition), with a 76 mm barrel and a total length of 177.6 mm. Its userfriendly trigger mechanism ensures it’s accessible to a broad audience, including women.
5. Projection Shows Significant Rise in India’s Per Capita Income by 2047
- India’s trajectory towards a prosperous economy by 2047 appears promising, as per a study by SBI Research economists. The findings indicate a potential 7.5fold increase in per capita income from Rs 2 lakh ($2,500) in FY23 to an anticipated Rs 14.9 lakh ($12,400) by FY47.
- A marked increase in tax filings has been observed, jumping from 2.1 million in FY13 to a significant 85 million in FY23. The projections suggest this could skyrocket to an astounding 482 million by FY47.
6. Viacom18 Finalizes the Fusion of JioCinema and Voot OTT Services
- Media giant Viacom18 has successfully consolidated its two OTT platforms, JioCinema and Voot. This move has dissolved Voot’s independent presence, as evident from a redirected Google search leading users directly to the JioCinema site, reinforcing Viacom18’s OTT footprint under one brand.
- The integration process picked up pace in April 2023 when Viacom18 concluded a merger involving Reliance Industries, Bodhi Tree Systems, and Paramount Global. This strategic decision brought JioCinema under Viacom18’s umbrella, solidifying its position for premium content.
7. Neymar Jr. Transitions from PSG to Join AlHilal in Saudi Arabia
- Brazilian star forward, Neymar Jr., has moved from Paris SaintGermain to play for Saudi Arabia’s AlHilal. During his sixyear stint with PSG, which was occasionally interrupted by injuries, Neymar managed to score 118 goals in 173 games.
- While he secured five Ligue 1 championships and three French Cups at PSG, the team faced defeat against Bayern Munich in the 2020 Champions League final.
8. Legendary Indian Footballer Mohammed Habib Passes On
- Indian football mourns the loss of its former captain and icon, Mohammed Habib. Having played in numerous international contests from 196576, he remains a symbol of excellence in Indian football.
- Born on July 17, 1949, in Hyderabad of the erstwhile Andhra Pradesh, Habib’s career spanned from 196575, including being part of the memorable team that clinched the bronze in the 1970 Asian Games in Bangkok.
- Victor Amalraj, another former India captain, recalls Habib’s incredible contributions during his tenure in Kolkata football circuits from 196677, standing out despite his stature.