Daily Current Affairs 16th January 2024: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16th January2024. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16th January2024. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16th January2024 Current affairs test.
1. Inauguration of the 5th Meghalaya Games by Indian President
- Indian President Smt Droupadi Murmu officially inaugurated the 5th Meghalaya Games on January 15, 2024, in Tura, Meghalaya.
- She highlighted the importance of developing sporting talent in tribal regions. This edition of the Meghalaya Games is notable for being the first held in Tura, including traditional local games, and being inaugurated by the President for the first time.
2. PM Modi to Inaugurate New NACIN Campus in Andhra Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate the new campus of the National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes & Narcotics (NACIN) in Palasamudram, Andhra Pradesh, on January 16.
- The campus, spanning 500 acres, focuses on training in indirect taxes and narcotics control. It aims to provide training to officials in India and from partnering nations.
3. Bernardo Arévalo Becomes President of Guatemala
- Bernardo Arévalo was sworn in as President of Guatemala on January 15, 2024, after overcoming political challenges.
- The 65-year-old diplomat and sociologist is known for his pro-democracy stance and aims to address corruption and migration issues, balancing relations with the U.S.
4. Switzerland to Host Ukraine Peace Summit
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has secured Switzerland as the host for a peace summit to address the conflict with Russia.
- Announced with Swiss President Viola Amherd, the summit details are being finalized and aim to include countries that respect Ukraine’s sovereignty.
5. Kerala Launches Operation Amrith to Combat Antimicrobial Resistance
- Kerala’s Drug Control Department initiated Operation Amrith to address the growing threat of antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
- The operation includes surprise pharmacy inspections to control unauthorized antibiotic sales, addressing a global health threat.
6. India-Thailand Naval Exercise ‘Ex-Ayutthaya’
- The Indian and Royal Thai Navies conducted their first joint exercise, ‘Ex-Ayutthaya,’ in December 2023.
- This exercise symbolizes the cultural connection between the two nations and included Indian Naval ships Kulish and IN LCU 56, and the Thai HTMS Prachuap Khiri Khan.
7. Yes Bank Introduces Digital Platform SmartFin
- Yes Bank, in collaboration with Veefin Solutions, has launched a digital Supply Chain Finance platform named SmartFin.
- This initiative aims to enhance operational and financial efficiency, benefiting Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises.
8. Government Introduces New Rules for Green Energy Sector
- The government has introduced new rules to expedite the establishment of energy storage systems in the green energy sector.
- These rules allow certain companies and consumers to set up dedicated transmission lines without needing a license.
9. India’s WPI Inflation Reaches Nine-Month High
- In December 2023, the Wholesale Price Index (WPI) inflation in India surged to a nine-month high of 0.73%.
- This increase was mainly driven by a rise in food prices and other sectors such as machinery, equipment, and electronics.
10. Evolution of India’s Union Budget
- The Union Budget of India, outlined in Article 112 of the Constitution, has undergone significant changes since its first presentation in 1860.
- Notable changes include the integration of the Railway Budget and shifting the presentation date to February 1.
Important Days News
11. National Startup Day in India
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared January 16 as National Startup Day in 2021 to celebrate India’s growing startup ecosystem.
- The day provides a platform for entrepreneurs todiscuss and showcase their innovations and contributions to economic growth and job creation.
Ranks & Reports News
12. Significant Reduction in India’s Multidimensional Poverty
- A report by NITI Aayog revealed that from 2013-14 to 2022-23, over 24.82 crore people in India have moved out of multidimensional poverty.
- This decline in poverty levels includes improvements across health, education, and standard of living indicators.
Summits & Conferences News
13. 54th World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos
- The 54th annual meeting of the World Economic Forum began on January 15, 2024, in Davos, Switzerland.
- The meeting, attended by global leaders, focuses on open dialogue and cooperation to address global challenges.
14. India Secures Lithium Exploration Rights in Argentina
- India has obtained exploration rights for lithium blocks in Argentina, reducing its dependency on lithium imports.
- This agreement marks a significant step following a similar partnership with Australia in 2022.
15. Vice Admiral AN Pramod Appointed as DGNO
- Vice Admiral AN Pramod assumed the role of Director General of Naval Operations (DGNO) on January 15, 2024.
- With a distinguished career in the Indian Navy, he brings extensive experience to his new role.
16. Miss America 2024 Won by U.S. Air Force Officer
- Second Lt. Madison Marsh of the U.S. Air Force was crowned Miss America 2024, the first active-duty military member to win the title.
- Marsh is a physics graduate and advocates for pancreatic cancer research, representing Colorado in the pageant.
17. Deepa Bhandare Receives Best Environment Officer Award
- Deepa Bhandare, associated with Shri Datta Cooperative Sugar Factory in Kolhapur, received the Best Environment Officer Award from VSI Chairman Sharad Pawar.
- Her work marks a significant achievement in Maharashtra’s sugar industry, promoting inclusivity and environmental responsibility.
18. HBO’s “Succession” Leads Nominations at the 75th Primetime Emmy Awards
- The 75th Primetime Emmy Awards celebrated television excellence, with HBO’s “Succession” leading the nominations.
- Hosted by Anthony Anderson, the event showcased the diverse and dynamic nature of contemporary television.
19. ICC Players of the Month for December 2023
- The International Cricket Council named Australia’s Pat Cummins and India’s Deepti Sharma as the Players of the Month for December 2023.
- Cummins was recognized for his leadership in Australia’s Test series, while Sharma was acknowledged for her all-around performance in women’s cricket.
20. Passing of Malayalam Music Director K J Joy
- Renowned Malayalam music director K J Joy passed away at the age of 77.
- Known for pioneering electronic instruments in Malayalam cinema, Joy’s career spanned over 200 films since 1975.
Science & Technology News
21. I-STEM to Launch ‘Samavesha’ in Bengaluru
- I-STEM is set to launch ‘Samavesha’ at the Indian Institute of Science in Bengaluru to enhance research collaboration across India.
- The initiative aims to optimize the utilization of scientific resources and facilities nationwide.
22. Oxford University Begins Human Trials for Nipah Virus Vaccine
- Oxford University has initiated the first human trials for a vaccine against the Nipah virus, a significant advancement in public health.
- The trials, led by the Oxford Vaccine Group, involve 51 individuals and aim to combat the highly lethal Nipah virus.