Daily Current Affairs 16th June 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16th June 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16th June 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16th June 2023 Current affairs test.
1. India’s Premiere at Annecy International Animation Festival Emphasizing AVGC Talents
- Marking its debut, India’s Animation, Gaming, Visual Effects, and Comics (AVGC) industry is set to captivate global audiences at the renowned Annecy International Animation Festival (AIAF) in France.
- The Indian team, headed by Apurva Chandra, the Secretary of Information and Broadcasting, and consisting of prominent figures from the animation realm, is enthusiastically presenting India’s adeptness in crafting animation and VFX materials tailored for worldwide viewers at AIAF.
2. UNGA Unanimously Accepts India’s Draft Resolution
- By universal agreement, the UNGA (United Nations General Assembly) has embraced a draft proposal initiated by India, aiming to establish a commemorative wall at the UN premises in tribute to departed peacekeepers.
- The proposal, titled ‘Memorial wall for fallen United Nations peacekeepers,’ was presented in the UN General Assembly Hall by India’s Permanent UN Ambassador, Ruchira Kamboj.
3. World Bank’s Maiden Road Safety Project in South Asia Commences
- The World Bank is embarking on its pioneering road safety initiative in South Asia, entering a financial contract worth USD 358 million with Bangladesh’s government.
- This endeavor seeks to curtail the number of casualties and injuries resulting from road mishaps, concentrating on perilous highways, district pathways, and specific cities, focusing especially on Bangladesh’s Gazipur-Elenga (N4) and Natore-Nawabganj (N6) highways.
4. UNESCO Welcomes U.S. Back in July
- After a four-year hiatus due to alleged biases against Israel, the United States is poised to rejoin UNESCO this July.
- While a member states’ vote is requisite for the reentry, it’s anticipated to garner approval effortlessly. UNESCO’s objectives encompass endorsing educational, scientific, and cultural endeavors, and nominating global World Heritage Sites.
5. Jane Marriott: UK’s First Female Ambassador to Pakistan
- The United Kingdom has publicized Jane Marriott’s selection as the upcoming British High Commissioner to Pakistan, marking her as the inaugural female British representative to Islamabad. Before this, Marriott, aged 47, was the high commissioner in Kenya from September 2019, succeeding Dr. Christian Turner.
- With an extensive background spanning various roles since joining the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office in 2001, Marriott is poised to bring substantial expertise to her new assignment.
6. Odisha’s ‘Raja’ Agricultural Festivity
- The three-day ‘Raja’ or ‘Raja Parba’ or ‘Mithuna Sankranti,’ symbolizing womanhood, is joyously celebrated in Odisha.
- Festive activities include preparing traditional foods, indulging in paan, and engaging in card games and other recreational activities with loved ones. The festival’s commencement, termed “Pahili Raja,” is a day of extensive preparations.
7. Indian Defence Ministry Greenlights ‘Predator Drone’ Purchase Prior to PM Modi’s U.S. Trip
- As Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s U.S. visit approaches, India’s Defence Ministry has authorized the procurement of ‘Predator (MQ-9 Reaper) drones’ from the U.S.
- Estimated at around USD 3 billion, this agreement was sanctioned during the Defence Acquisition Council’s meeting on June 15. Post-dialogues between PM Modi and President Joe Biden, the official announcement regarding this significant procurement is anticipated.
Important Days News
8. Observing International Day of Family Remittances 2023
- Celebrated annually on June 16, the International Day of Family Remittances (IDFR) is a globally acknowledged day sanctioned by the UN General Assembly.
- This day commends the efforts of roughly 200 million migrants assisting their 800 million family members, particularly in rural regions, amplifying the significance of remittances.
Books and Authors News
9. Ramachandra Guha Earns Elizabeth Longford Prize
- Historian Ramchandra Guha’s literary work, “Rebels Against the Raj: Western Fighters for India’s Freedom,” has clinched the Elizabeth Longford Prize for Historical Biography 2023.
- Bagging approximately ₹5 lakhs and a bound edition of Elizabeth Longford’s memoir, Guha was recognized by a jury led by Roy Foster.
10. Asia Cup 2023’s Itinerary and Host Locations Unveiled Following ACC’s Acceptance of Hybrid Model
- The forthcoming Asia Cup 2023 promises exhilarating cricket clashes, notably between long-standing rivals India and Pakistan, leading up to the ICC World Cup 2023.
- With the ACC’s endorsement of the hybrid model, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will co-host the tournament, scheduling 13 gripping One Day International (ODI) matches.
11. Nahida Khan of Pakistan Bids Adieu to International Cricket
- Marking the culmination of an illustrious decade-long career, Pakistan’s female cricketer Nahida Khan has retired.
- Having made her national debut in February 2009, the 36-year-old opener has represented Pakistan in more than 100 matches across different formats, leaving an enduring mark on the nation’s women’s cricket.
Science and Tech News
12. Innovative Pollution Monitoring by IIT Madras
- IIT Madras researchers have advanced in air pollution monitoring by formulating an economical mobile monitoring system.
- Employing data science, IoT, and affordable pollution sensors on public transport, this novel method offers dynamic air quality assessments. Dubbed “Kaatru” (Tamil for “air”), the project aspires to overcome stationary monitoring stations’ constraints and aid in effective decision-making.
Books and Authors News
13. Ashwinder Singh’s Guide: “Master Residential Real Estate”
- Real estate aficionado Ashwinder R Singh has penned “Master Residential Real Estate,” providing an in-depth look into the real estate realm.
- Addressing diverse topics, ranging from property selection to financing options, Singh imparts insights into the contemporary real estate scenario and strategies to optimize investments.