Daily Current Affairs 16th October 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 16th October 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 16th October 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 16th October 2023 Current affairs test.
1. Introduction of the APAAR ID: “One Nation One Student ID Card” by the Ministry of Education
- The Ministry of Education and the Government of India have rolled out the APAAR ID, commonly referred to as “One Nation One Student ID Card.” This groundbreaking initiative seeks to centralize academic information, encompassing degrees, scholarships, accolades, and other credentials, in a digital format.
- By registering for and downloading their APAAR ID, individuals can avail various benefits and have a consolidated digital storage of their academic history.
- This move represents a considerable stride towards a streamlined and user-friendly academic journey for Indian students.
2. Unveiling of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar’s Statue in Maryland, Washington
- In a significant event, a statue of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, standing 19 feet tall, was inaugurated in a Maryland suburb, Washington.
- This statue, the tallest of its kind outside India, holds immense significance for Indian-Americans and the broader Indian diaspora globally.
- The esteemed artist and sculptor, Ram Sutar, known for his ‘Statue of Unity’ of Sardar Patel, is the mastermind behind this statue.
3. IORA Council of Ministers Meeting Held in Colombo
- The Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) convened its Council of Ministers meeting in Colombo on October 11, attracting global attention.
- IORA, consisting of 23 member nations and 11 dialogue partners, is instrumental in fostering regional cooperation around the Indian Ocean.
- The Indian Ocean Region, housing roughly one-third of the world’s populace, holds vast geographical, economic, and strategic significance.
Important Days News
4. World Food Day Observance on October 16
- World Food Day, commemorated annually on October 16, focuses on addressing hunger, ensuring food security, and promoting proper nutrition globally.
- The 2023 theme for World Food Day is “Water is life, water is food. Leave no one behind,” underscoring the vital role of water in food production, nutrition, and livelihoods.
- This day traces its origins to the inception of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in 1945.
5. World Students Day Celebrated on October 15
- World Students Day, marked on October 15 yearly, honors the birthday of the late Indian President, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
- In 2023, this day is particularly noteworthy as it denotes his 92nd birth anniversary. It celebrates Dr. Kalam’s significant contributions to the field of education and his unwavering dedication to children’s and students’ well-being globally.
- The 2023 theme for World Students Day is “FAIL: stands for First Attempt in Learning,” aiming to motivate students to view failure as an educational experience.
6. Recognition of the International Day of Rural Women on October 15
- The International Day of Rural Women, observed annually on October 15, celebrates the invaluable contributions of rural women worldwide in promoting agricultural and rural growth, enhancing food security, and combating rural poverty.
- The 2023 theme for this day is “Rural Women Cultivating Good For All,” spotlighting the indispensable role of rural women, inclusive of indigenous and tribal women, in the realm of agricultural labor, especially in developing countries.
7. Inauguration of National Space Day on August 23
- The Indian government has earmarked August 23rd as National Space Day to laud the Chandrayaan 3 mission’s success.
- This proclamation accentuates India’s momentous accomplishment in space exploration and aspires to enthuse young individuals to delve into STEM fields, further consolidating India’s stature in the space domain.
8. World Anaesthesia Day Celebrated on October 16
- World Anaesthesia Day, observed on October 16 each year, pays homage to the pivotal role of anaesthesia in contemporary medical procedures.
- This day memorializes the dawn of anaesthesia on October 16, 1846, when William Thomas Green Morton showcased the first successful ether anaesthesia application at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- The theme for World Anaesthesia Day 2023 is ‘Anaesthesia and Cancer Care,’ highlighting anaesthesia’s significance in cancer therapies.
Schemes & Committees News
9. Significant Milestone Achieved by Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)
- The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) has reached an exceptional milestone, amassing over 50 crore beneficiaries and witnessing a notable surge in the overall balance.
- In the initial half of the ongoing fiscal year, the cumulative balance in PMJDY accounts saw an increase by ₹30,000 crore, touching ₹2.05 lakh crore as of October 4, 2023.
- This scheme’s exponential growth showcases its efficacy in championing financial inclusivity, with public sector banks managing 40 crore of these accounts.
10. Nawanpind Sardaran Village Honored as “Best Tourism Village of India 2023”
- Nawanpind Sardaran village in Punjab has been conferred the “Best Tourism Village of India 2023” accolade by the Union Ministry of Tourism.
- This honor recognizes the commendable efforts of the Sangha sisters in safeguarding their ancestral abodes and promoting ecologically responsible tourism in their village, generating employment avenues and actively involving the local populace.
11. India Bids to Host the 2036 Olympics and Youth Olympics
- During the 141st International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session in Mumbai, Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared India’s aspiration to host the 2036 Olympics and Youth Olympics.
- This announcement marks a defining moment in India’s sports chronicle, with PM Modi showcasing India’s zeal to make substantial contributions to the international sports landscape by orchestrating these esteemed events.
Science & Technology News
12. ISRO and Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) Initiate the “Space on Wheels” Program
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) in association with Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) has set in motion the “Space on Wheels” program.</li >
- Comprising a convoy of buses retrofitted with advanced space tech displays, this initiative aims to inculcate scientific curiosity in students and foster an environment conducive to learning about space technologies and advancements.
13. Bollywood Star Amitabh Bachchan Awarded Dadasaheb Phalke Ratna
- Legendary Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan has been honored with the Dadasaheb Phalke Ratna award, signifying his monumental contributions to the Indian film industry.
- This accolade, one of the highest civilian honors in the Indian cinematic world, underscores the stellar legacy of Amitabh Bachchan, spanning over five decades of unparalleled cinematic excellence.