Daily Current Affairs 17th April 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 17th April 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 17th April 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 17th April 2020 Current affairs test.
1. ‘Health Alert’ service on Messenger by WHO
- WHO has launched an interactive COVID-19 service ‘Health Alert’ on Facebook Messenger.
- WHO: Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland || Head: TedrosAdhanom || Founded: 7 April 1948
2. The session of World Heritage Committee of UNESCO
- The 44th session of the UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee, to be held in Fuzhou, China, has been postponed due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations aimed at contributing “to the building of peace, the eradication of poverty, sustainable development and intercultural dialogue through education, the sciences, culture, communication and information.
- Headquarters: Paris, France || Head: Audrey Azoulay
1. Waive service charges for all ATM transactions
- SBI will waive service charges for all ATM transactions up to 30th June 2020.
- HQ: Mumbai || Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar || Founded: 1 July 1955.
2. RBI cuts Reverse Repo Rate
- RBI has cut the Reverse Repo Rate by 25 bps to 3.75% to encourage banks to lend more.
- Aim: To discourage banks from parking money with RBI and instead lend more.
- The current repo rate is remained unchanged at 4.40%.
- Reverse repo rate is the rate at which the Reserve Bank of India borrows money from commercial banks within the country. It is a monetary policy instrument which can be used to control the money supply in the country.
1. First life Insurance Company in India to announce additional benefits related to COVID-19
- Tata AIA life Insurance Company has become the first Life Insurance company to announce Additional Benefits Related to COVID-19 up to Rs 500,000 at no additional cost.
- Tata AIA Life Insurance: CEO: Rishi Srivastava || Headquarters: Mumbai || Founded: 2000
1. new MD & CEO of Paytm General Insurance
- Vineet Arora has been appointed as the new MD & CEO of Paytm General Insurance.
- MD & CEO of Paytm Payments Bank: Satish Kumar Gupta
- Paytm founder: Vijay Shekhar Sharma || Paytm Headquarters: Noida
2. Additional charge of MTNL
- BSNL CMD PK Purwar has taken the additional charge of MTNL.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited, d/b/a BSNL is an Indian state-owned telecommunications company, headquartered in New Delhi, Delhi, India. It was incorporated by Government of India on 1 October 2000. It provides mobile voice and internet services through its nationwide telecommunications network across India.
- CEO: Pravin Kumar Purwar || Headquarters: New Delhi
1. World Haemophilia Day
- World Haemophilia Day (WHD) is celebrated on April 17 each year to raise awareness about hemophilia and other inherited bleeding disorders.
- It is an initiative of ‘World Federation of Haemophilia’ and April 17, 2020, marks the 30th World Hemophilia Day!
- Theme: ‘Get+involved’
- Haemophilia is a mostly inherited genetic disorder that impairs the body’s ability to make blood clots, a process needed to stop bleeding. This results in people bleeding for a longer time after an injury, easy bruising, and an increased risk of bleeding inside joints or the brain.
Award, Rankings and Indexes
1. International Arab fiction prize 2020
- AbdelouahabAissaoui of Algeria has won the 13th International Arab fiction prize 2020 for his novel ‘The Spartan Court’.
- The International Prize for Arabic Fiction is a literary prize managed in association with the Booker Prize Foundation in London, and supported by the Emirates Foundation in Abu Dhabi. The prize is specifically for prose fiction by Arabic authors, along the lines of the Man Booker Prize.
2. Edison Award
- Tata Power has been awarded the Edison Award for its social innovation campaign ‘Club Enerji’.
- Edison Awards is a company that runs an annual competition honoring excellence in innovation in a broad range of categories.
- CEO of TATA Power: Praveer Sinha || HQ: Mumbai
3. New Ambassador for World Wide Fund (WWF) India’s Environment Education program.
- Grand Master ViswanathanAnand has been appointed as the new Ambassador for World Wide Fund (WWF) India’s Environment Education program.
- The World Wide Fund for Nature is an international non-governmental organization founded in 1961, working in the field of wilderness preservation, and the reduction of human impact on the environment. It was formerly named the World Wildlife Fund, which remains its official name in Canada and the United States.
- Headquarters: Gland, Switzerland || Director: Marco Lambertini (Director General)
1. New Brand Ambassador CricKingdom
- Cricketer Rohit Sharma has become the brand ambassador CricKingdom.
- ‘CricKingdom is a cricket academy based in Dubai which will also facilitate coaching through its online platform.
2. Tamas Ajan resigns
- International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) chief Tamas Ajan has resigned amid corruption probe.
- International Weightlifting Federation (IWF): Headquarters : Budapest, Hungary
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,17th April