Daily Current Affairs 17 January 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 17 January 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 17 January 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 17 January 2018 Current affairs test.
1.The Center sanctioned Rs 10,000 cr worth projects in North East for better network connectivity.
- Two MoUs have been signed to cover the uncovered areas in the North east including Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Manoj Sinha, Telecommunication minister, has been given to upgrade the network connection in border areas.
2.Defence Minister flies in IAF’s supersonic jet.
- Nirmala Sitharaman became the first full-time Defence Minister to fly in the Air Force’s supersonic Sukhoi-30MKI jet.
- The 45-minute flight was aimed at reviewing the operational preparedness and cobat capabilities of the armed forces.
3.Bollywood-themed posters shared by Railway Minister.
- Piyush Goyal has shared Bollywood themed posters on Twitter. The advisory on the poster read that boarding a moving train can be life-threatening with a caption “Na Simran Na” showing a scene from movie Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge.
- Another poster advising people not to defecate on railway tracks is captioned with “Neele Gagan ke Tale”.
4.Plans to launch a 24×7 helpline for complaints of poaching by Forest Dept.
- To allow the public to anonymously file complaints of illegal activities like tree felling and poaching, Forest Dept is planning to launch ‘1926’, a 24×7 national helpline.
- This is the first time the dept has set up a dedicated provision for the service. There will be 30 lines to receive complaints and 6 individuals to man them.
1.China has built ‘world’s biggest air purifier’.
- China has constructed a 330 foot tall air purifier tower which is being tested by researchers, has produced more than 10 million cubic meters of clean air since launched.
- The air purification system works through greenhouses covering about half the size of a soccer field around the base of the tower.
2.US refuses UN aid to Palestine after Trump’s threat.
- The US said that it will withhold an aid of over Rs 415 cr that it provides to UN agency which supports the Palestinian refugees.
- This has come after the US President threatened to cut the financial aid for Palestine, accusing Palestine of being unwilling to engage in peace talks with Israel.
3.Pakistan PM referred 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed as ‘Sahab’.
- Pakistan PM Shahis Abbasi said that his country won’t take any action against ‘Sahab’ as no case is registered against Hafiz Saeed in Pakistan.
- Hafiz Saeed was released from house arrest by Pakistani Court in November last year after being detained for 10 months.
4.Most expensive embassy officially opened in London.
- The US officially opened its new embassy in London which is believed to be world’s most expensive embassy.
- The Embassy worths over Rs 6,400 crore and is designed like a crystalline cube.
1.TCS has signed a deal with M&G Prudential of over $690 million.
- TCS, India’s largest IT services firm, has signed a deal with M&G Prudential, The UK and European savings and investments business of Prudential plc.
- Under this contract, TCS will digitally transform M&G Prudential’s business and deliver enhanced service for its UK savings and retirement customers.
2.IBM and Maersk form blockchain firm for international cargo.
- A joint venture of IBM and Maersk have been announced by IBM that uses blockchain technology to track international cargo movement.
- Maersk, which owns the world’s largest container shipping line, will be the first to use the new platform.
3.For the first time, sensex closes above 35,000.
- Sensex rose 310.77 points to close at 35,081 while Nifty closed 88.10 points higher at 10,788.
- The markets were boosted by the government’s plan to cut extra borrowing for 2017-18 to Rs 20,000 crore from Rs 50,000 crore.
4.Crypto hedge funds gave 1,100% returns in the year of 2017.
- Nine cryptocurrency hedge funds gave combined returns of 1,167% in 2017 compared to Bitcoin’s 1,400% gain, as tracked by research firm Eurekahedge.
- The Altana Digital Currency Fund had warned its clients that they should invest only an amount they can afford to lose.
1.India lose their first Test series in 3 years.
- India has been defeated by South Africa by 135 runs in the Centurion Test.
- South Africa took a 2-0 series lead and has ended India’s record streak of nine consecutive series wins. The last Test will start from Jan 24 in Johannesburg.
2.Cheteshwar Pujara, first Indian to get run-out twice in a Single Test.
- Cheteshwar Pujara got run-out in the second innings of the Centurion Test.
- Pujara was run-out for his first Test golden duck. He is the 23rd player overall to be run-out twice in a Test.
3.Ronaldinho retires from football.
- 2002 World Cup winner and Brazilian legend Ronaldinho announced his retirement from football.
- He was widely known for his creativity, dribbling skills and the ‘elastico’ move. He won the UEFA Champions League and the Ballon d’Or award as a Barcelona player.
- Daily Current Affairs: January 1
- Daily Current Affairs: January 2
- Daily Current Affairs: January 3
- Daily Current Affairs: January 4
- Daily Current Affairs: January 5
- Daily Current Affairs: January 6
- Daily Current Affairs: January 7
- Daily Current Affairs: January 8
- Daily Current Affairs: January 9
- Daily Current Affairs: January 10
- Daily Current Affairs: January 11
- Daily Current Affairs: January 12
- Daily Current Affairs: January 13
- Daily Current Affairs: January 14
- Daily Current Affairs: January 15