Daily Current Affairs 17 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 17 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 17 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 17 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. First Chief of the Armed Forces Special Operations Division
- Major General AK Dhingra has been appointed as the first Chief of the Armed Forces Special Operations Division.
- Major General AK Dhingra is Sri Lanka Civil War veteran.
- The Sri Lankan Civil War was an armed conflict fought on the island of Sri Lanka. Beginning on 23 July 1983, there was an intermittent insurgency against the government by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, which fought to create an independent Tamil state called Tamil Eelam in the north and the east of the island.
2. Sikkim day
- It was on 16 May 1975 that Sikkim, India’s least populous state officially became a part of India.
- It is for this cause that this day is celebrated as the Sikkim Day.
- Sikkim :- Capital : Gangtok || Chief Minister : Pawan Chamling || Governor : Ganga Prasad
3. Military Space Agency
- Government will set up its Military Space Agency headquartered at Bengaluru.
- ‘Military Space Agency’ is likely to command all space assets of the Army, Air Force and Navy.
4. India’s Graphite Deposits
- Geological Survey of India has revealed that 35 % of India’s Graphite deposits are in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI), founded in 1851, is a Government of India Ministry of Mines organisation, one of the oldest of such organisations in the world.
- It is the second oldest survey in India after Survey of India (founded in 1767), for conducting geological surveys and studies of India, and also as the prime provider of basic earth science information to government, industry and general public, as well as the official participant in steel, coal, metals, cement, power industries and international geoscientific forums.
1. ‘Privileged Iqama’ system
- Saudi Arabia has launched ‘Privileged Iqama’ system.
- It gives permanent residency to certain expatriates (highly skilled foreigners and investors).
- It is for the first time Saudi Arabia has launched such scheme.
- Currency: Saudi riyal || Capital: Riyadh || King: Salman of Saudi Arabia
2. World Telecommunication and Information Society Day
- World Information Society Day (World Telecommunication Day) was an international day proclaimed to be on 17 May by a United Nations General Assembly resolution, following the 2005 World Summit on the Information Society in Tunis.
- Theme :- ‘Bridging The Standardization Gap’.
3. South Punjab Province
- Pakistan will create the new province of South Punjab by bifurcating Punjab.
- South Punjab will comprise Multan, Bahawalpur and Dera Ghazi Khan Divisions.
- Punjab is Pakistan’s second largest province by area, after Balochistan, and it is the most populated province, with an estimated population of 110,012,442 as of 2017.
4. South African President
- Cyril Ramaphosa was re-elected as South African President.
- Cyril Ramaphosa’s ruling The African National Congress (ANC) won re-election with an absolute majority with 57.73% in parliament
- South Africa Capital: Cape Town || Currency: South African Rand
1. New Chairperson of News Broadcasting Standards Authority
- Justice A K Sikri is appointed as the Chairperson of News Broadcasting Standards Authority.
- It was appointed by News Broadcasters Association (NBA)
- The News Broadcasters Association is a private association of different current affairs and news television broadcasters in India . It was established by leading Indian news broadcasters in October 2008.
2. Army International Scout Masters Competition 2019
- An International Army Scout Masters Competition as a part of the International Army Games will be organised under the aegis of Konark Corps at Jaisalmer in July.
- The event will witness the participation of the Mechanised Infantry Scout Teams of eight countries including Russia who is the founding member of this format of the International Army Games.
3. ‘Payment and Settlement Systems in India: Vision 2019 – 2021’
- RBI has released ‘Payment and Settlement Systems in India: Vision 2019 – 2021’.
- Theme :- ‘Empowering Exceptional E-payment Experience’.
- Aim :- To achieve a highly digital and cash-lite society.
- Goals :- Competition, Cost-effectiveness, Convenience and Confidence (4Cs)
4. Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization
- The Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) has granted India an ‘Observer’ status.
- The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization is an international organization that will be established upon the entry into force of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, a Convention that outlaws nuclear test explosions.
- Its seat will be Vienna, Austria.
- Founded: 24 September 1996
1. CEAT International Cricket Awards 2019
- International Cricketer of the year award: Virat Kohli
- International Women Cricketer of the year award: Smriti Mandhana
- Life Time Achievement award: Mohinder Amarnath
- International Test Cricketer of the Year: Cheteshwar Pujara
- International ODI Cricketer of the Year: Rohit Sharma
- International T20 Player of the Year: Aaron Finch (Australia)
- Outstanding Performance of the Year: Kuldeep Yadav
- International Bowler of the Year Award: Jasprit Bumrah
2. Asia-Pacific Diamond Cup 2019
- Yosuke Asaji of Japan has won Asia-Pacific Diamond Cup 2019 Golf tournament.
- Rahil Gangjee of India finished at 39th position.
3. AFC Asian Cup
- South Korea has forfeited its bid to stage Asian Cup Football tournament in 2023.
- China will now be hosting 2023 AFC Asian Cup.
- The 2023 AFC Asian Cup will be the 18th edition of the AFC Asian Cup, the quadrennial international men’s football championship of Asia organised by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC). The tournament will involve 24 national teams after its expansion of the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.
- The AFC Asian Cup is an international association football tournament run by the Asian Football Confederation. It is the second oldest continental football championship in the world after Copa América. The winning team becomes the champion of Asia and until 2015 qualified for the FIFA Confederations Cup.
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31