Daily Current Affairs 17th 18th October 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 17th 18th October 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 17th 18th October 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 17th 18th October 2020 Current affairs test.
1. Former judge to monitor steps to prevent stubble burning
- Supreme Court has appointed Justice Madan B Lokur as a one-man monitoring committee to prevent stubble burning in the states of Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
- Stubble is the base of the plant and the straw residue remaining on the surface of the soil following the harvest of particular crops. This includes material discharged from the harvester. For a range of reasons, this material is often burned so that the land is clear for reuse.
2. KAPILA Kalam Program
- Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has launched KAPILA Kalam Program.
- KAPILA stands for Kalam Program for Intellectual Property Literacy and Awareness campaign.
3. My Town My Pride programme
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha has launched My Town My Pride programme.
- Aim: To provide governance at the doorsteps in urban areas on the pattern of the ‘Back to Village’ programme.
1. United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestine Refugees
- India has contributed one million dollars to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestine Refugees.
- UNRWA Headquarters: Amman, Jordan || UNRWA Commissioner-General: Philippe Lazzarini.
1. Book ‘The Battle of Belonging’
- A book titled ‘The Battle of Belonging’ is authored by Shashi Tharoor.
- The book is said to be his magnum opus on the Theory, evolution and practice of Nationalism across the globe and especially in India.
1. India’s next permanent representative to UNESCO
- Vishal V Sharma has been appointed India’s next permanent representative to UNESCO.
- UNESCO: Headquarters: Paris, France || UNESCO Head: Audrey Azoulay.
2. Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) Chief
- Managing Director and CEO, Union Bank of India Rajkiran Rai has been elected Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) chief.
- Indian Banks’ Association, formed on 26 September 1946 as a representative body of management of banking in India operating in India – an association of Indian banks and financial institutions based in Mumbai.
1. Raising Day of National Security Guard
- The 36th Raising Day of National Security Guard (NSG) is observed on 16 October.
- DG of National Security Guard: Anup Kumar Singh.
2. International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is an international observance celebrated each year on October 17 throughout the world.
- Theme: ‘Acting together to achieve social and environmental justice for all’.
Award, Rankings and Indexes
1. Global Hunger Index 2020
- India ranked 94 among 107 nations in the Global Hunger Index 2020 against 102th position last year.
- With a score of 27.2, India has been placed in the “serious” category.
- The 2020 Global Hunger Index (GHI) shows that hunger worldwide has gradually declined since 2000. Although progress has been made, too many people still suffer from hunger. In many places progress is too slow and hunger remains severe. These areas are highly vulnerable to a worsening of food and nutrition insecurity exacerbated by the health, economic, and environmental crises of 2020.