Daily Current Affairs 18 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 18 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 18 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 18 May 2019 Current affairs test.
- The website of the Lokpal (www.lokpal.gov.in) was launched.
- A Lokpal is an anti-corruption authority or body of ombudsman who represents the public interest in the Republic of India.
- The Lokpal is the first institution of its kind in India established under the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013.
- The current Chairperson of Lokpal is Pinaki Chandra Ghose.
2. Ajey Nagar as the Next Generation Leaders for 2019
- Ajey Nagar has been named among TIME Magazine’s 10 Next Generation Leaders for 2019.
- He runs the YouTube channel named ‘CarryMinati’.
3. Indian Coast Guard Ship Vigraha
- Indian Coast Guard Ship Vigraha has decommissioned after 29 years of service from 1990 to 2019.
- Indian Coast Guard Ship Vigraha is a frontline offshore patrol vessel
- The Indian Coast Guard is an armed force that protects India’s maritime interests and enforces maritime law, with jurisdiction over the territorial waters of India, including its contiguous zone and exclusive economic zone.
1. First Asian country to legalise same-sex marriage
- Taiwan has become first Asian country to legalise same-sex marriage.
- Currency: New Taiwan dollar || Capital: Taipei
2. International Museum Day
- International Museum Day is an international day a celebration that held every year on or around 18 May, coordinated by the International Council of Museums.
- The event highlights a specific theme that changes every year and that is at the heart of the international museum community’s preoccupations.
- Theme :- ‘Museums as Cultural Hubs: The future of tradition’.
3. Merit-based Immigration System
- US President Donald Trump has inducted a Merit-based Immigration System.
- Permanent Legal Residency (Green Cards) would be given based on points for age, knowledge, job opportunities and civic sense of foreigners.
- Donald John Trump is the 45th and current president of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality. Trump was born and raised in the New York City borough of Queens and received an economics degree from the Wharton School.
4. Pakistan’s currency hit an all-time low against USD
- Pakistani Rupee has hit an all-time low against USD as it dropped to Rs 148 per dollar.
- The United States dollar is the official currency of the United States and its territories per the United States Constitution since 1792. In practice, the dollar is divided into 100 smaller cent units, but is occasionally divided into 1000 mills for accounting.
- Prime minister: Imran Khan || Capital: Islamabad || Currency: Pakistani rupee || President: Arif Alvi
1. CEO of Jet Airways resigns
- Jet Airways CEO Vinay Dube has resigned from his post.
- Jet Airways Ltd. is an Indian international airline based in Mumbai, India which as of 17 April 2019 has currently temporary suspended all flight operations.
- Company slogan :-The Joy of Flying
- Parent company :- SBI led-Bank Consortium (51%) || NareshGoyal (24%) || Etihad Airways (12%) || Public Shares (13%)
2. Chief Risk Officer in NBFCs
- RBI has directed NBFCs with asset size of over Rs 5000 crore to appoint a Chief Risk Officer.
- A non-banking financial institution or non-bank financial company is a financial institution that does not have a full banking license or is not supervised by a national or international banking regulatory agency.
- NBFI facilitate bank-related financial services, such as investment, risk pooling, contractual savings, and market brokering.
3. Ola with SBI
- Ola has tied up with SBI to launch ‘Ola Money SBI Credit Card’.
- Ola Cabs, is an Indian origin online transportation network company developed by ANI Technologies Pvt. Ltd. As of May 2019, Ola was valued at about $6.2 billion. A variety of venture capitalists including Softbank have large stakes in the company.
- Founded: 3 December 2010, Mumbai || CEO: Bhavish Aggarwal (3 Dec 2010–) || Headquarters: Bengaluru || Founders: Bhavish Aggarwal, Ankit Bhati
4. Mumbai Metro with Instamojo
- Mumbai Metro One has tied-up with ‘Instamojo’ to boost cashless travel.
- Instamojo is a payment aggregator. || Founded: 2012 || Founders: Akash Gehani, Sampad Swain, Aditya Sengupta, Harshad Sharma
- The Mumbai Metro is a rapid transit system serving the city of Mumbai, Maharashtra, and the wider metropolitan region. The system is designed to reduce traffic congestion in the city, and supplement the overcrowded Mumbai Suburban Railway network.
1. FA Cup Football cup
- Manchester City has Won FA Cup 2018-19 defeating Watford in the final.
- The FA Cup, also known officially as The Football Association Challenge Cup, is an annual knockout football competition in men’s domestic English football.
- First played during the 1871–72 season, it is the oldest national football competition in the world. It is organised by and named after The Football Association.
2. Sir Andy Murray
- Sir Andy Murray has received his Knighthood at Buckingham Palace.
- A knighthood is a title that is given to a man by a British king or queen for his achievements or his service to his country. A man who has been given a knighthood can put ‘Sir’ in front of his name instead of ‘Mr’.
- Sir Andrew Barron Murray OBE is a British professional tennis player from Scotland, ranked No. 217 in men’s singles as of 6 May 2019.
- He is the three time Grand Slam champion.
3. Footballer Brishti Bagchi
- Footballer Brishti Bagchi has become first Indian woman to play in the Spanish League.
- She has selected for Madrid CFF Football club.
- Madrid Club de Fútbol Femenino is a Spanish women’s football club based in San Sebastián de los Reyes, Community of Madrid, that currently plays in Primera División.
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31