Daily Current Affairs 18th 19th May 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 18th 19th May 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 18th 19th May 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 18th 19th May 2020 Current affairs test.
1. Star Rating of Garbage Free Cities
- For the assessment year 2019-2020, a total of six cities have been certified as 5-Star (Ambikapur, Rajkot, Surat, Mysuru, Indore and Navi Mumbai).
- 65 cities as 3-Star and 70 cities as 1-Star.
- The Star Rating Protocol was launched by the Ministry in January 2018 to institutionalize a mechanism for cities to achieve Garbage Free status, and to motivate cities to achieve higher degrees of cleanliness.
- Minister of State (I/C) for Housing and Urban Affairs: Hardeep S, Puri.
1. New Israeli Prime Minister
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has won the Israeli national election and hence elected as new Israeli Prime Minister.
- Israel: Capital: Jerusalem || The currency of Israel: Israeli shekel.
2. Japanese Kokeshi Dolls
- Japanese Kokeshi dolls have become a famous icon of Japanese culture.
- Kokeshi, are simple wooden dolls with no arms or legs that have been crafted for more than 150 years as a toy for children. Japanese dolls, originally from the north-eastern region of Japan. They are handmade from wood, have a simple trunk and head with a few thin, painted lines to define the face.
- Japan : Capital: Tokyo || Currency: Japanese yen || Prime Minister: Shinzō Abe
3. 73rd World Health Assembly
- Health Minister Harsh Vardhan will represent India at the 73rd World Health Assembly by WHO.
- WHO: Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland || Director-General: TedrosAdhanom || deputy Director-General: SoumyaSwaminathan.
1. New acquisition of Accenture
- Accenture has acquired Ahmedabad-based Byte Prophecy, an automated insights and big data analytics company.
- Accenture: CEO: Julie Sweet || Headquarters: Dublin, Ireland
2. Jack Ma resigns from SoftBank board
- Alibaba’s co-founder Jack Ma has resigned from SoftBank Board.
- Softbank: Headquarters : Tokyo || CEO: Masayoshi Son
1. Book ‘Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from a Quarantined City’
- Book ‘Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from a Quarantined City’ was authored by Chinese literary writer Fang Fang.
- It is a compilation of online diary entries and social media posts of the lockdown during COVID-19.
2. Book ‘Psycho-Social impact of pandemic & lockdown and how to Cope With’
- HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal has launched the set of seven titles on ‘Psycho-Social impact of pandemic & lockdown and how to Cope With’ under the corona studies series published by National Book Trust.
- NBT : Chairman– Govind Prasad Sharma || Headquarters–New Delhi.
Science and Technology News
1. National Migrant Information System (NMIS) Portal
- Government of India has launched an online ‘National Migrant Information System (NMIS)’ Portal to monitor movement of migrant workers.
- It is developed by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).
2. Rail-Bot (R-BOT)
- South Central Railway has developed ‘Rail-Bot’ (R-BOT) Robotic Device that helps assist in hospital management functions.
- The South Central Railway is one of the 18 zones of Indian Railways. The jurisdiction of the zone is spread over the states of Telangana, Maharashtra, and some portions of Madhya Pradesh. It has three divisions under its administration, which include Secunderabad, Hyderabad and Nanded.
1. New MD of Jammu and Kashmir Bank
- Zubair Iqbal has been appointed as new Managing Director of Jammu and Kashmir Bank.
- Jammu and Kashmir Bank Headquarters: Srinagar.
1. International Museum Day
- International Museum Day is an international day held annually on or around 18 May, coordinated by the International Council of Museums.
- The event highlights a specific theme which changes every year to reflect the basis of the international museum community’s preoccupations.
2. World AIDS Vaccine Day
- World AIDS Vaccine Day or HIV Vaccine Awareness Day is observed on 18 May.
- HIV vaccine advocates mark the day by promoting the continued urgent need for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection and AIDS.
- World AIDS Day, designated on 1 December every year since 1988, is an international day dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection and mourning those who have died of the disease.
Agreements and MoUs
1. National Restaurants Association of India with fintech start-up DotPe
- National Restaurants Association of India has tied-up with finance-tech start-up DotPe to build tech platform.
- Founded in 1982 and headquartered at Delhi, National Restaurants Association of India represents Independent and Chain Restaurant Owners and Operators in India.
- President of NRAI: Riyaaz Amlani || HQ: New Delhi.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,18th 19th May