Daily Current Affairs 18th 19th June 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 18th 19th June 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 18th 19th June 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 18th 19th June 2020 Current affairs test.
1. Top State to provide employment to workers under MGNREGA
- Uttar Pradesh has become top state to provide employment to the workers under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme.
- Mahatma Gandhi Employment Guarantee Act 2005, is an Indian labour law and social security measure that aims to guarantee the ‘right to work’. This act was passed in September 2005.
- Capital: Lucknow || Governor: Anandiben Patel || Chief minister: Yogi Adityanath
2. Trustees of the Prime Minister’s CARES Fund
- Chartered Accountants firm ‘SARC & Associates’ has been appointed by the Trustees of the Prime Minister’s CARES Situations fund as its auditors.
- The Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund was created on 28 March 2020, following the COVID-19 pandemic in India. The fund will be used for combating, and containment and relief efforts against the coronavirus outbreak and similar pandemic like situations in the future.
3. Raja Parba Festival
- Raja Parba festival was celebrated in Odisha.
- Raja Parba is a three-day-long festival celebrated in Odisha, India. The second day of the festival signifies beginning of the solar month of Mithuna from, which the season of rains starts.
1. Non-permanent member of UN Security Council
- India was elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for a two-year along with Ireland, Mexico and Norway.
- A non-permanent seat from the Asia-Pacific category for the 2021-22 term.
1. Panel to strengthen enforcement and recovery mechanism in Market
- SEBI has suggested measures to strengthen markets watchdog’s enforcement mechanism.
- It will also help in improving the system of recovery of siphoned off money
- The committee headed by former Supreme Court Judge Anil Dave.
- SEBI: Founded: 12 April 1992 || Sector: Securities market || Jurisdiction: India || Headquarters: Mumbai || Type: Statutory corporation || Chairperson: Ajay Tyagi
1. India’s Foreign Exchange Reserve
- India’s foreign exchange reserve has crossed $500 billion for the first time.
- Foreign exchange reserves are cash and other reserve assets held by a central bank or other monetary authority that are primarily available to balance payments of the country, influence the foreign exchange rate of its currency, and to maintain confidence in financial markets.
2. World Economic Forum’s Technology Pioneer
- Start-up ZestMoney has been selected as one of the World Economic Forum’s Technology Pioneers.
- World Economic Forum: Founder: Klaus Schwab || Headquarters: Cologny, Switzerland
3. Amazon’s The Climate Pledge
- Infosys has joined Amazon’s The Climate Pledge to be net zero carbon.
- It calls for net zero carbon across their businesses by 2040, a decade ahead of the Paris Accord’s goal of 2050.
1. Novel ‘Klara and the Sun’
- Nobel Prize-winning author Kazuo Ishiguro will come out with a new novel ‘Klara and the Sun’.
- Sir Kazuo Ishiguro OBE FRSA FRSL is a British novelist, screenwriter and short-story writer. He was born in Nagasaki, Japan and moved to the United Kingdom in 1960 when he was five. Ishiguro is one of the most celebrated contemporary fiction authors in the English-speaking world.
1. President of 75th UN General Assembly
- The United Nations General Assembly elected Turkish diplomat Volkan Bozkir as its President.
- The United Nations General Assembly is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations, serving as the main deliberative, policy-making, and representative organ of the UN. Its powers, composition, functions, and procedures are set out in Chapter IV of the United Nations Charter.
1. Sustainable Gastronomy Day
- The United Nations General Assembly adopted 18 June as Sustainable Gastronomy Day.
- The decision acknowledges gastronomy as a cultural expression related to the natural and cultural diversity of the world.
2. International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict
- International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict was observed on 19th June.
- The Day offers a chance to raise awareness of the need to put an end to conflict-related sexual violence, to honour the victims and survivors of sexual violence
Award, Rankings and Indexes
1. IMD’s World Competitiveness Index
- India has been ranked at 43rd on World Competitiveness Index compiled by Institute for Management Development.
- Top Three:
- 1. Singapore
- 2. Denmark
- 3. Netherlands
2. Monaco Foundation Award
- Deccan Development Society (Hyderabad-based) has won the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation Award for promoting biodiversity and support farming in degraded lands.
- The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation Award has rewarded the figures who have contributed to the preservation of our environment.
1. BCCI’s Ethics Officer and Ombudsman
- D K Jain has got one year extension as BCCI’s Ethics Officer and Ombudsman.
- BCCI : President: Sourav Ganguly || Secretary: Jay Shah || Headquarters: Mumbai
2. 2019–20 Coppa Italia
- Winner: Napoli
- Runner-up: Juventus
3. Khelo India State Centres of Excellence
- Ministry of Sports has set-up Khelo India State Centres of Excellence (KISCE).
- Aim: To create a robust sporting ecosystem.
4. Sharjah Online International Chess Championship
- Azerbaijan Grandmaster Shakhriyar Mamedyarov has won the World Stars Sharjah Online International Chess Championship.
- Indian Grandmaster Pentala Harikrishna finished second in the Championship