Daily Current Affairs 18th June 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 18th June 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 18th June 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 18th June 2023 Current affairs test.
National & International Assignments
1. Vishwanathan, Ex-RBI DG, Named Non-Executive Chairman of Axis Bank
- Axis Bank’s board, one of the top private banks, has announced the appointment of NS Vishwanathan as its non-executive chairman for a tenure of three years.
- His term starts from October 27, 2023, subject to RBI’s endorsement.
- Vishwanathan, an experienced banker well-versed in regulatory nuances, previously held the post of Deputy Governor at the Reserve Bank of India from 2016 to 2020.
2. Launch of Dugdh Sanakalan Sathi App Announced
- The “Dugdh Sanakalan Sathi Mobile App” was unveiled in Mussoorie, Uttarakhand by Mahendra Nath Pandey, the Union Heavy Industries Minister.
- Rajasthan Electronics & Instruments Limited (REIL) crafted this app, an esteemed CPSE Mini Ratna of the Ministry of Heavy Industries.
- The main objective is to revolutionize the dairy sector by addressing pivotal milk collection concerns.
3. Government Forms Committee for Arbitration Law Enhancements
- The Union law ministry’s Department of Legal Affairs has inaugurated a committee to suggest improvements to the Arbitration and Conciliation Act.
- The group will be spearheaded by the previous law secretary, T K Vishwanathan.
- The intent is to ease the judicial system’s load. The committee comprises senior legal professionals, private law firm representatives, and officials from various departments and agencies.
4. Song Collaboration between PM Modi and Grammy Laureate Falu
- A musical collaboration between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Falguni Shah (aka Falu), an Indian-American vocalist, aims to underscore the advantages of millet and its potential to mitigate global hunger issues.
- The track is named “Abundance in Millets.”
- Falu clinched the Grammy in 2022, and 2023 marks the ‘International Year of Millets’, an initiative proposed by India and approved by the UN’s FAO Members.
5. Observance of World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought on June 17, 2023
- This annual event on June 17th sheds light on the challenges of desertification and drought.
- The theme for 2023 is “Her land. Her rights.”
- The United Nations General Assembly established this day in 1994, with its first commemoration in 1995.
Financial & Economic News
6. Paytm Launches UPI SDK for Efficient Merchant Payments Online
- The digital payments giant Paytm has rolled out a UPI software development kit (SDK). This allows consumers to remit payments to online vendors without system glitches.
- Paytm assures this UPI SDK is designed for seamless transactions.
- This Paytm initiative enables payments directly from bank accounts via UPI PIN, simplifying the transaction process.
Accolades & Distinctions
7. Bharatmeta by Kiya.ai Gains Global Acclaim
- At the VivaTech event in Paris 2023, Kiya.ai showcased its version of the metaverse named Bharatmeta, marking India’s pioneering contribution in this area.
- This unveiling took place at the India Pavilion during the renowned ‘VivaTech’ event, a major tech and startup assembly in Europe.
- Bharatmeta presents valuable applications for sectors like banking and commerce in the metaverse.
8. Arundhati Roy Clinches 45th European Essay Prize for ‘Azadi’
- Esteemed writer and advocate, Arundhati Roy has been honored with the 45th European Essay Prize for her lifetime contributions, coinciding with the French version of her latest work, ‘Azadi’.
- The translated title, ‘Liberte, fascisme, fiction’, was released by the eminent French publisher, Gallimard.
- The award ceremony is scheduled for September 12 at Lausanne Palace, where Roy will share insights on various global topics.
Economic & Banking Updates
9. $150-million World Bank Loan Sanctioned for Kerala’s Resilience Initiative
- The World Bank has greenlighted a $150 million loan in support of the Resilient Kerala program, reinforcing the state’s defenses against environmental calamities, climate shifts, and health crises.
- This funding focuses on strengthening areas like coastal protection and water resources management.
- This IBRD loan has a total term of 14 years, inclusive of a 6-year grace period.
10. June 18 Marks International Day Against Hate Speech 2023
- The annual June 18 observance, known as the International Day for Countering Hate Speech, emphasizes the urgency to tackle the widespread issue of hate speech.
- This day underscores the collective responsibility to curtail divisive language and foster understanding and inclusion.
- The day, recognized by the UNGA, calls attention to the severe repercussions of hate speech and reaffirms human rights commitments.