Daily Current Affairs 19 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 19 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 19 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 19 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Rallapalli Venkata Narasimha Rao passes away
- Rallapalli Venkata Narasimha Rao, popularly known by his surname Rallapalli was an Indian film character actor known for his works in Telugu and Tamil cinema.
- He acted in more than 800 films including ‘Thoorpuvelle Railu’, ‘Srivariki Prema Lekha’ and ‘Rendu Rellu Aaru’.
2. Crop insurance under PMFBY
- Acc. to a senior official from Agriculture Ministry, The Crop insurance under PMFBY has failed for the North-Eastern state.
- Out of Rs 1400 crore designated fund for the North-Eastern annually under PMFBY, only around Rs 8 crore was spent in 2018-19.
- The Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana was launched on 18 February 2016 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi is an insurance service for farmers for their yields.
3. 17th Lok Sabha elections
- The 2019 Indian general election was held in seven phases from 11 April to 19 May 2019 to constitute the 17th Lok Sabha.
- About 900 million Indian citizens were eligible to vote in one of the seven phases depending on the region. The 2019 elections attracted a turnout of over 67 per cent – the highest ever in the history of Indian general elections
- The counting of votes took place on 23rd May, and on the same day the results were declared.
1. Chang’e 4
- Chang’e-4 has found materials believed to have been part of its mantle.
- Chang’e 4 is a Chinese lunar exploration mission that achieved the first soft landing on the far side of the Moon, on 3 January 2019.
- A communication relay satellite, Queqiao, was first launched to a halo orbit near the Earth-Moon L point in May 2018.
2. IM Pei passes away
- Architect IM Pei has passed away.
- Ieoh Ming Pei was a Chinese-American architect. Born in Guangzhou but raised in Hong Kong and Shanghai.
- Pei drew inspiration at an early age from the garden villas at Suzhou, the traditional retreat of the scholar-gentry to which his family belonged.
3. Deputy Attorney General of USA
- USA Senate has voted to confirm Jeffrey Rosen as Deputy Attorney General.
- William Pelham Barr is a two-time United States Attorney General. He was appointed by Donald Trump as the 85th Attorney General, and has served in that role since February 14, 2019.
- The United States Attorney General is the chief lawyer of the Federal Government of the United States, head of the United States Department of Justice and oversees all governmental legal affairs.
4. Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX)
- The 26th edition of Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX) held in Singapore.
- Singapore capital: Singapore city || Currency: Singapore dollar
1. Anti-Competition Probe against Google
- Antitrust Authority of Italy has launched an anti-competition investigation against Google.
- Antitrust Authority of Italy has joined Competition Commission of India (CCI) and the European Union (EU) for the same.
- Italy :- Capital: Rome || Currency: Euro
2. Indian Hotels Company Limited with Singapore’s wealth fund GIC
- Indian Hotels Company has partnered with Singapore’s wealth fund GIC to invest Rs 4000 crore for buying hotels in India.
- Indian Hotels Company Limited runs hotels under Taj, Vivanta and Ginger brands.
- Taj Hotels is a chain of luxury hotels and a subsidiary of the Indian Hotels Company Limited; headquartered at Express Towers, Nariman Point in Mumbai. Incorporated by the founder of the Tata Group, Jamsetji Tata, in 1903, the company is a part of the Tata Group, one of India’s largest business conglomerates.
3. Vishal Sikka with BMW Group
- BMW Group has appointed Vishal Sikka to its supervisory board.
- Vishal Sikka is former Executive Vice Chairman of Infosys and former Indian American CEO and MD of Infosys. On 18 August 2017 he stepped down as managing director of Infosys.
- BMW AG is a German multinational company which currently produces automobiles and motorcycles, and also produced aircraft engines until 1945. The company was founded in 1916 and is headquartered in Munich, Bavaria.
4. Nespresso Talents 2019
- International Section of Nespresso Talents 2019 for Films
- 1. New Zealand’s Josh Morrice for “Subak”
- 2. Mexico’s Marco Aurelio Celis’ “Ruffo”
- 3. Indian filmmaker, Achyutanand Dwivedi’s film, “Seed Mother”
- Rahibai Soma Popere, born in 1964, is an Indian farmer and conservationist. She helps other farmers return to native varieties of crops, preparing hyacinth beans for self-help groups. She is among three Indians on the BBC list of “100 Women 2018”. Scientist Raghunath Mashelkar gave her the epithet “Seed Mother”.
1. Laura Dahlmeier retires
- Olympic Biathlon champion Laura Dahlmeier announced her retirement.
- Laura Dahlmeier is a former German biathlete. Dahlmeier started in her first world cup races in the 2012/13 season.
- In 2014, she participated in the Winter Olympics in Sochi. She won a record of five gold medals at the World Championships of 2017.
- The biathlon is a winter sport that combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting.
2. M B Balakrishnan passes away
- Former South Asian Games swimming gold medalist M B Balakrishnan passed away.
- He won the 100m and 200m backstroke events at the South Asian Games 2007.
3. 2019 Africa Cup of Nations
- Egypt was chosen by the CAF Executive Committee as the host nation of 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
- The CAF Africa Cup of Nations, officially CAN, also referred to as AFCON, or Total Africa Cup of Nations for sponsorship reasons, is the main international association football competition in Africa. It is sanctioned by the Confederation of African Football and was first held in 1957.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,19 May
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31